royal malewane or sabi sabi earth lodge

Oct 30th, 2004, 06:42 PM
Original Poster

royal malewane or sabi sabi earth lodge

what is your opinion , i have been to royal malewane and loved it, i am now planning on going back to africa i have a choice between royal malewane again or trying sabi sabi earth lodge. if i go to earth lodge will it be a let down? what is your opinion. any experiences with earth lodge you can share?
Oct 30th, 2004, 08:59 PM

mhron,

While Earth Lodge looks fabulous, I am suspicious about its location and about the amount of vehicles stuffed in their little reserve. I could be wrong, but I think I have read that they may have the highest density of beds in the entire SSGR. As I am sure you know, they also have a couple less upscale lodges within the same small reserve.

Have you already visited Londolozi and Singita? Those seem like they would both be better choices. If I could pick one place at Londolozi it would be Londolozi Tree, and both of the Singita's in the SSGR look great (I have stayed at Singita Boulders and loved it).

However, if you do decide on the Royal Malewane, and you stay three nights, they will very likely give you 3 nights for the price of 2 nights at either La Residence in Franschoek or Birkenhead House in Hermanus. This must be negotiated upfront. Although I saw a similar deal on a travel website that you must pay an annual membership fee of $150, by contacting the Royal Malewane direct, they made me the same offer.

Search this Thread