Roy's Safaris

Jul 31st, 2007, 07:28 PM
Original Poster

Roy's Safaris

Hi - I had inquired about Africa Adventure Company and also am considering Roy's Safaris (Tanzania/Kenya - fall of 2008( - any experience there?

Thanks, Ginger
Aug 1st, 2007, 06:17 AM

Ginger:

Roy's has a pretty good rep here. AAC is lesser value.

P.S. In the future you may want to post the AAC vs. Roy's in your first post and actually put the question in the title.

Also, you may want to review the East Africa Index:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...4&tid=34860283

Kevin from California
Aug 1st, 2007, 08:08 AM

Ginger, we've taken three safaris with Roy Safaris the past 18 months or so and all were wonderful, with very good guides, new clean vehicles and well organized on the ground. I think they only operate in Tanzania. In Kenya you'll be with a different ground operator, I think (not sure) Roy works with Wildtrek in Kenya.

Bill
Aug 1st, 2007, 09:17 AM

Ginger we went with Roys in Feb of this year and agree with everything Bill said. We had a great trip and would use them again for sure.
Happy travels
J
Aug 1st, 2007, 09:28 AM

I've sent Roy's a few emails over the past several weeks and none have been answered.
Aug 1st, 2007, 12:01 PM

I went with Roy's back in 2007, and they were fine - excellent vehicle, good guide, everything went smooth. Price was very competitive compared to others - not quite the cheapest, but close enough.

They were a bit flaky in their communications. The girl I was working with at Roy's stopped answering e-mails for a couple of weeks before somebody took over the account. Apparently, she had contracted malaria and was out sick during that time, which I guess is an occupational hazard.
Aug 1st, 2007, 12:42 PM

We went with Roy's in June this year Excellent guides, vehicles and everything went very smoothly. We had an excellent time and would definately go with them again they were very organised.
Aug 1st, 2007, 05:15 PM

Call Sandi from Africa Serendipity on this board. She works with Roy's as her Tanzania tour operator. I booked through her and am using Roy's for an upcoming safari. I have heard nothing but good things, but can't speak from experience yet. As an FYI, I found Sandi's pricing to be less than AAC's. Basically, I was able to get a private safari through Sandi for less than what it cost me to get a group safari at AAC. That said, I did really like AAC and thought they were very professional...Good luck with your decision. By the way, Roy's also has a good write up in Lonely Planet.
Aug 2nd, 2007, 02:03 AM

Hi I am also booked though Sandi and Roys. Shall be there later this month. We will be at Sayari, Serena Crater and Roys will be driving us from the Crater to Arusha . Not looking forward to the long drive at all but the timing works in our favour.
Aug 2nd, 2007, 05:57 AM

emdee the drive from the crater to Arusha is not too bad at all. The road is good once you actually leave the NCCA.

Have a fantastic trip.

J
Aug 2nd, 2007, 08:51 AM

emcee, do tell us more about Sayari when you get back.

On our 2nd Journey to Africa safari late January, we will be staying in Sayari South as well as Olakira, Farm House and Kiruruma.

Can't wait to be back in Tanzania sipping my coffee, watching to sunrise.