Round III - SAFARI PLANNING June/July 2006

Old Jul 12th, 2005, 04:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Round III - SAFARI PLANNING June/July 2006

Hi every one - I was having truoble trying to add on to my previous thread so it was just easier to start a new one.

First of all - Sandi - I just read the beginning of your trip report - I am waiting breathlessly for the rest.

I have some more questions- just when I thought I was done with all the initial research.

I've been in contact with a colleague's son who runs an outfitter in Arusha and he really seems teriffic. Name of the company is Matembezi (formerly Africa Wildlife Expeditions). Anyway, he seems to really get me and his prices were the same as Roy's and Good Earth. He has put together an interesting itinerary for me that is a mixture of luxury and rustic, permanent camps and semi permanent camps that seems very interesting - I have not heard of a few of the and I wanted to know if anyone else had. Here's the itinerary - let me know what you think:

Day 1 Arrive Nairobi (PM)(using our FFmiles)

Day 2 Private Transfer (drive) to Namanga border and drive to the Maasai lands west of Kilimanjaro to Sinya private reserve. DInner and O/N at Kambi Ya Tembo (semi-permanent camp)

Day 3 Walking safari in AM Afternoon Game drive O/N Kambi Ya Tembo

Day 4 - Drive to Tarangire O/N Olivers Camp
Day 5 - Tarangire
Day 6 - Tarangire

Day 7 - Drive to Ngorongo (Serena)
Day 8 - Ngorongoro

Day 9 - Drive to Serengetti - KIRAWIRA
Day 10 - Kirawira
Day 11 - Kirawira
Day 12 Kirawira

Day 13 - FLy to Zanzibar - Ras Nungwi
Day 14 - ZAnzibar
Day 15 - Zanzibar

Day 16 fly home

QUESTIONS:

Has anyone ever been to Sinya? Stayed at a camp called Kambi Ya Tembo?

There is not very much discussion on the forum about OLIVERS CAMP. Does anyone have an opinion? My original choice for Tarangire was Tree Tops - is there a substantial difference in the comfort level?

Finally, for the Serengetti he suggested instead of Kirawira we might want to try another semi-permanent camp in the north called SAYARI CAMP. Has anyone had an experience there - it is more $$ than Kirawira. We will be there the last week of June first week of July so the migration can either be in the west or north. Instead of driving from Ngorogoro to Kirawira we would fly from Maynara to the north.

Thanks for any sugeestions or comments everyone you have all been such an incredible resource for me.

Day 3
Old Jul 12th, 2005, 06:09 PM

Hi csuss,
climbhighsleeplow has a report on the West Kili area (gameviewing, camps), including a slideshow. If the search function isn't working, just scroll down a few pages and you should be able to find it. Frankly, it sounds great to me.

I think he may have also discussed Sayari somewhere as well.

The trip is really coming together. Exciting!
Old Jul 12th, 2005, 06:12 PM

csuss

Your friend obviously likes the Asilia camps (Sayari & Olivers) - and I agree with him!

Sayari is new and was not open during my visit. But I saw the tents at the Arusha Tourism fair and it is very romantic and luxurious.

Kirawira is very far to the west and unless the timing is perfect the drives are too long. Late June is a bit late.

But Sayari is very far to the northwest and also a bit of a gamble.

I think splitting time between Mbuze Mawe (or Migration Camp) and Sayari is a good combination in late June/early July, but Sayari gets my vote if the split is impossible.

Below, you can see some pictures of my recent visit to Kambi and pics from a previous visit to Oliver's a year ago.

Both camps are very good. Oliver's has new mgmt and is slowly being upgraded. I love the location - very near the swamp pride of lions. Kambi is completely different - not really for cats, but for elephants, scenery and cultural interactions.

West Kilimanjaro:

http://www.kodakgallery.com/Slidesho...Uy=nadi9j&Ux=1

Tarangire:

http://www.kodakgallery.com/Slidesho...Uy=k1psuc&Ux=1
Old Jul 12th, 2005, 06:20 PM

I just remembered that a friend from Minnesota is at Sayari Camp this Wed & Thu and I will ask her to post some feedback when she returns next week!
Old Jul 12th, 2005, 07:57 PM
Original Poster

THANK YOU! I did find Climginghigsleepinglows web gallery after I posted my question. It looks great and I really feel like my trip is coming together. I am going to ask about splitting time in the serengeti. I think Jazzdrew was at Kirawira 2 weeks ago and he said it was perfect timing for the migration - but you never know. I'm still waiting for his full trip report.

Later.

Old Jul 13th, 2005, 12:16 PM
bwanamitch

Hi Eben,

Your West Kili slide show is a wonderful source of information - I think I've just found a new destination for me. Thank you for posting this.

Mitch

Old Jul 13th, 2005, 01:54 PM

csuss,
Sounds like your planning is coming along well and you've found a tour operator who really understands your needs. I think that's key.

We'll be camping and horseback riding in the West Kilimanjaro area in December, though not as near the Kenyan border as Kambi.

Your trip is looking great!
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 02:02 PM
sandi

csuss -

I too was going to refer you to Climbhigh... report on Kili West and the new camp in the Serengeti - but Leely beat me to it; and Climbhigh verified his previous information.

You've gotten good suggestions and positive comments, so now it's up to you to make the decision that works for you. Go for it.

Old Jul 13th, 2005, 05:12 PM
Original Poster

I think this might be it then. I have to wait a few more weeks until I can book my air and then it is off to the races.

We are also going to include a night of fly camping while at Oliver's which makes my hubby very happy . Not too much discussion on this board about that?

I am sacrficing time in Nairobi where I wanted to see Sheldrick and Giraffe Manor, but I will have to settle for seeing them in the wild (what a sacrifice). This itinerary just feels right, and we are going to go with Sayari instead of Kirawira.

SANDI - the timing on your Zanzibar report was perfect. I had been concerned about the A/C thing and I chose Ras Nungwi because it had A/C but was thinking of going a bit more rustic. Now I am convinced that I was right in the first place. By the way Sandi, did you book everything yourself directly or did you use a local operator?

I am very glad that I took so much time researching tour operators and finally found the right one for me. THese guys must have inifinte patience.

I'll keep you all posted.

Thanks