Search

Sighting report

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27th, 2006, 10:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sighting report

I was emailed this by a friend who has been encouraging me to visit Kwando next month, like I have the time, but thought all of you would enjoy the scroll.
I believe the sightings listed to have been of the past week.
NOTE: 21 DOGS In JANUARY.

Herewith the latest game sightings for the Kwando
Lagoon camp
Camp closed from 11 January to 6th February – adding 2 tents and rebuilding central areas.
Sightings before camp closed include – 4 lionesses followed hunting, a pride of 3 lionesses chased and killed a wildebeest calf, and the Lagoon pride chasing and missing a warthog. An adult male lion was seen close to camp feeding on a warthog.
A couple of sightings of a relaxed adult male leopard
A pack of 21 Wild dogs successfully hunting impala and tsessebe over a period of a few days – great interaction with a clan of hyena.
An herd of 300 elephant spread out along the fringe of the mopane woodland, several small groups of elephant bulls and smaller breeding herds.
Several sightings of pythons as well as Giant African Bullfrogs mating and fighting – many various frog and toad species, and chameleons at night
Hyenas seen on most night-drives, also seen – caracal hunting, African wild cats,
General game good – impala, reedbuck, giraffe, tsessebe, roan, wildebeest, hippo out of the water, sitatunga in the wetlands.

Kwara camp
A pride of 3 males, one of the males was mating with a lioness
A pride of 5 lionesses was found after trackers heard baboon alarm calls – each lioness was feeding on a baboon.
A relaxed female leopard was seen with her cubs close to the boat station – she had killed a kudu, and fed for the whole of last week.
A coalition of 3 male cheetah was followed hunting
Scattered sightings of elephants throughout the concession, and a group of up to 7 bulls feeding in front of camp daily.
Both black-backed and side-striped jackals seen regularly on night drives as well as African wild cats practically every night-drive.
A clan of hyena with 2 x 6 month-old youngsters was seen hunting at night but were not successful.
General game – giraffe, impala, tsessebe, kudu, lechwe, chacma baboon, vervet monkeys and zebras
Birding has been excellent with all the summer visitors in attendance – broad-billed rollers with a youngster, wattled cranes, black-breasted snake eagle, martial eagle, and the heronry is still producing excellent photographic opportunities.
Other night-sightings – porcupine, serval, a honey-badger mother carrying her youngster in her mouth..
Also seen – various species of snakes, as well as many different frogs.

Lebala camp
2 male lions from the coalition of 3 were found very close to camp – roaring. One of the males was limping very badly though.
A pride of 4 lionesses were seen a couple of times -they killed 3 baboons close to Twin pools – another 2 shy lionesses were sighted just north of Twin pools as well as another 2 lionesses along Crane rd.
A relaxed young female leopard was seen a couple of times as well as a shy adult male leopard who was seen a couple of times near old hippo pools – he may have had a kill in the area.
An adult female cheetah with her sub-adult cub were found feeding on an impala they had killed, and were followed the next day moving slowly north.
Large breeding herds of elephants seen regularly feeding along the fringes of the woodlands, as well as small groups of bulls moving across the floodplains.
Night drives yielded many sightings of hyenas, porcupines, African wild cat, serval.
General game has been good especially along the floodplains.
Good sightings of different snake and frog species – both very active in the rains
Also seen – numerous raptor species, African skimmers, Rossy-cheasted longclaw, pratincole species, as well as one group of 7 ostriches with 7 chicks, while another with 3 adults had 33 chicks (whew)
Old Jan 27th, 2006, 05:43 PM

In the Chinese calendar, 2006 (hasn't started yet) is the year of the dog!

Interesting sightings, but I think that this confirms that even in a place frequented by dog packs, they are not that easy to see. If I read this correctly, it means that they were seen for several days :
"A pack of 21 Wild dogs successfully hunting impala and tsessebe over a period of a few days – great interaction with a clan of hyena."
---but not for the rest of the month?

So some tourists are lucky, and some are not, even at the best places! Still, those elusive dogs are worth the chase!
Old Jan 27th, 2006, 08:06 PM
santharamhari

Thanks Mkhonzo,

That's one of my favourite posts on this forum......always love to know the sightings around Kwando.

I did see the Kwara male lions that you had mentioned. They are a magnificant three......awesome cats.

The cheetah mom and the sub-adult cub. I saw her with two sub-adult cubs near Lagoon in December.

We did spend over two hours trying to track those dogs and gave up, as they disappeared deep into the mopane......

Old Jan 27th, 2006, 11:05 PM
mv

ddgattina

you are quitte right. The dogs are very mobile this time of year. However please note that the sightings report was only for the early part of the month
"Herewith the latest game sightings for the Kwando
Lagoon camp
Camp closed from 11 January to 6th February – adding 2 tents and rebuilding central areas.
Sightings before camp closed includequot;.

Lagoon camp is being expanded from 6 to 8 tents.
Michael
Old Jan 28th, 2006, 03:45 AM
Original Poster

Please do note that that was not a report from my visit, it was in fact a report that I was emailed. I gather that it originates from Kwando and a friend was using it to get my fires burning, which he did.

I can investigate and see if I can get the report as it appears posted onto these message forums, but not sure that is ethical etc. I added that report because of the discussion over the dogs and where and when is best to see them, but then there was so much juice as I scrolled through....
Old Jan 28th, 2006, 04:32 AM

Thanks for posting that mkhonzo.

That's great to hear, as those places are up for consideration for my upcoming trip.

As in life, I do realize there's no guarentees but it does give one hope.

Sherry