Romantic Cape Town Guest Houses

Aug 11th, 2007, 10:20 AM
Original Poster

Romantic Cape Town Guest Houses

Hello again,

Looking for help with deciding between two guest houses for a romantic last night in Cape Town. Which is more romantic: African Villa or 18 on Crox? Also considering 4 on Varneys. Any advice would be helpful.

Looking for something in the R1250 range and in a nice location.

Thanks
Aug 11th, 2007, 02:44 PM

Hi Sandylee,

While African Villa and 18 on Crox are great places to stay I would not label them as romantic.

My suggestion is that you look at De Waterkant Cottages at http://www.dewaterkantcottages.com/a...n/cottages.asp

Take a look at 80 Waterkant, 23 Loader and 108a Waterkant. I think 80 Waterkant would be a great choice if it is available.

All the cottages at De Waterkant Cottages are fantastic self catering cottages at excellent rates. They are very quaint, fabulously furnished with large amounts of space. The cottages are also extremely well maintained. The De Waterkant area has a Bohemian feel to it and is a wonderful area to explore. The cottages are right in the middle of where it is all happening near the city centre (10 minute walk away) as well the Waterfront. (20 minute walk away). The cottages are also close to many great little coffee houses (where you can have breakfast), a wonderful deli called Andiamo as well as interesting restaurants such as Tank and the Africa Cafe.

I highly recommend the cottages as place for a wonderful cosy stay.

Hope this helps.

Very proudly part of the wonderful nation of South Africa
Aug 11th, 2007, 04:59 PM

This is very interesting to me as I've been debating between my husband's need to be able to walk around and explore the city, and my need to find a place with a wonderful view. I've been leaning toward Camps Bay (with only my needs in mind). But this place looks wonderful. Is it safe to walk to the city center and to the waterfront from here?
Aug 11th, 2007, 09:47 PM

bobbieharv,

Yes it is perfectly safe to walk to the city and Waterfront from De Waterkant during daylight hours however I would not advise this after dark. It just becomes a case of watching ones back for security reasons.

I also must add that you might not have the sea view that you are seeking from the cottages however in compensation most of the cottages have a rooftop area where you can sit and enjoy some of the most outstanding views of Table Mountain from these spots.

Hope this helps.

Very proudly part of the wonderful nation of South Africa
Aug 12th, 2007, 05:11 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Selwyn,

My only concern about the cottages is are they safe? I guess I would feel safer in a Guest House...is that a misconception?

How close is 18 on Crox to the city center/water front area?

Aug 12th, 2007, 05:30 AM

I stayed in one of the corner cottages 9 years ago and really liked it. The area is situated on kind of a high hill and seems almost above all the goings on around and relatively quiet. I enjoyed walking the short distance to a nearby cafe in the AM for coffee and to pickup a paper. Really pleasant. With the city center closeby and the waterfront, it is an ideal location to base yourself.
Aug 12th, 2007, 08:09 AM

I also have the concern sandylee expresses about whether the cottages are safe? I think I'd rather stay in a cottage than a guesthouse, but this would be the only thing I'd worry about.
Aug 12th, 2007, 08:35 PM

I would have a look at www.portfoliocollection.com It lists many guest houses, boutique hotels, etc., and you can searc for what you want and will get a list that fits your search I have always found that as a great starting point.