Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Rocco's New Photos (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/roccos-new-photos-559737/)

Roccco Sep 20th, 2005 09:31 AM

Rocco's New Photos

I am posting only my photos from Kasaka River Lodge to start out, and not even all of the ones worth posting. However, there are still 75 photos here to start.

I will try to post my photos from Chongwe River Camp and some more from my time at Kasaka River Lodge by tomorrow night.

By this weekend, I will have EVERYTHING posted, hopefully, as well as hopefully finishing my trip report.

Thanks for reading and your comments are appreciated. :)

Roccco Sep 20th, 2005 09:39 AM

Here is the link:

http://www.kodakgallery.com/BrowsePh...mp;rnd=8374801

Sorry I haven't had time to add title captions or edit to at least have some photos positioned correctly. I'll get to it as soon as possible.

If anyone has trouble accessing the photos, feel free to e-mail me and I will send you an invitiation.

Enjoy! :)

matnikstym Sep 20th, 2005 09:40 AM

glad to hear you had such a good time! 4 weeks from today I leave on my Zambian adventure. Where's the link for the pics?
Dennis4

matnikstym Sep 20th, 2005 09:40 AM

oh, thanks, there it is!! :)
Dennis

thit_cho Sep 20th, 2005 09:45 AM

Rocco, photos look great. I only skimmed them, but will look in more detail later today. Thanks, Michael

matnikstym Sep 20th, 2005 09:47 AM

GREAT pics! Love the lion with the elephant in the background!
Dennis

thit_cho Sep 20th, 2005 09:53 AM

Well, I didn't wait -- I think my favorite is #35 (great buffalo photo). Great stuff -- looks like your camera worked very well.

Roccco Sep 20th, 2005 10:14 AM

Michael,

You chose the one photo that I did spend two minutes on in Photoshop. So, the other photos do have potential but I did want to get them up.

As I said, it will take me weeks, and probably months, to really go through all my photos in Photoshop to make them realize half of their potential.

Thanks for the feedback.

cooncat Sep 20th, 2005 10:18 AM

Rocco - this is great - but wow - relax, man! You just got back. No one expects you to have all your photos posted, let alone perfected! :-D

Sharon

thit_cho Sep 20th, 2005 10:20 AM

Glad to know I have a "good eye" -- the lighting was terrific. I'm sure the other photos are great too and the lighting doesn't always come across on an Internet.

jasher Sep 20th, 2005 10:51 AM

Hi Rocco,

The buffalo pics were brilliant -- but I also liked the shots of hippo on the river bank (a rare sight).

Cheers,
Julian

Leely Sep 20th, 2005 10:54 AM

I love the hippos, too. And the elephant bathing.

But where is the photo of you crouching in The Vest with The Lens???

Thanks for posting these. Can't wait to see the rest.

sandi Sep 20th, 2005 11:59 AM

The hippos have my vote also.

Nyamera Sep 20th, 2005 12:38 PM

Thanks for sharing your photos. The swimming elephant was very interesting and I loved the hippos. The picture where an egret stands very close to the buffalo’s leg and there are other buffaloes behind it has the best “buffalo eyes”. The warthog trotting in the water is another favourite. And the movement of the two elephants walking up from the water. And the one with the little baby ele.

sundowner Sep 20th, 2005 04:19 PM

Great photos, Roccco! I really like #35 also and the one with the elephant climbing out of the river. The kudu sure did seem curious the way they were looking towards you. Thanks for sharing these so quickly!

Roccco Sep 20th, 2005 11:37 PM

(reporting from London Heathrow on a 4 hour layover)

Julian,

Actually, in each Lower Zambezi and South Luangwa, seeing hippos on the river banks is a very common sight.

About Photoshop, it may be difficult to perfect, but it is actually quite easy to make a significant improvement, as I did in the photo that Thit Cho commented about. Either way, once I do make the improvements to my favorite photos, I will post them separately.

Thanks for the commentary.

Kavey Sep 21st, 2005 02:47 AM

Some nice pics in there - thanks for sharing... look forward to seeing more.

JanGoss Sep 21st, 2005 02:30 PM

Rocco:

Very nice photos! I notice almost all the elephant pictures were of very young animals. Did you see any big tuskers or are they all gone? I noticed today that South Africa is now planning on culling up to 10,000 elephants! What a tragedy that will be.

Did you have any problems adjusting to your new digital camera? I am considering updating my Canon EOS Rebel with their new digital one, but don't know if it would be too technical for me to handle. Would appreciate your opinion.

Jan

austkaye Sep 21st, 2005 05:51 PM

Rocco,

Just had a quick look at the photos - I rarely can get them on my computer or with my computer skills, so was really pleased that I could actually view them.

I loved #26,27 & 28 with the kudu bull with the great set of horns, I am also amazed at how he watched you for a reasonable amount of time, maybe I might get one shot, then it is usually the backside walking away! Also loved #30 with the baby ele so cute and once again lucky how the baby was between you and Mum, normally I will get the Mum inbetween me and the baby ele. Really liked #44 with the splash action of the female waterbuck in the water. Also loved the lioness with the ele #68 & 69 - like those mixed animals shots especially with one being a predator. I also liked the hippo on land.

You did seem to do really well with all your new camera equipment - I am wondering how you kept the camera so still just holding it - no bean bag or monopod? I am just entering the digital world, and my main problem is steadiness when on the full zoom - I am practising on a Panasonic DZ20, something like that, but will get the 30 when it reaches the shores of Australia which should be any day now!

Looked at the photos first, but will check out the report now.

Thanks and look forward to more photos! and game reports, of course!

Kaye

schlegal1 Sep 22nd, 2005 04:54 AM

Rocco - Loved the photos. Favorites are the lion watching the ele, the hippos on land and the elephant swimming. Can't wait to see more!