Rocco have a good trip

Aug 30th, 2005, 12:33 PM
Original Poster

Rocco have a good trip

Rocco - Have a good trip. How soon will we start seeing your preliminary itineraries for your next African trip???
Aug 30th, 2005, 12:36 PM

Rocco will be too busy helping others plan their trips to think about his own. ;-)
Aug 30th, 2005, 12:36 PM
Original Poster

Roccco - Sorry I'm a bit dyslexic on the number of 'C's I see.
Aug 30th, 2005, 01:49 PM

Thanks guys...I am OUTTA HERE!!!

I am running late, plane leaves in under 3 hours.

Pray for me regarding the carryon weight restrictions!

Favor, I have already booked my next trip. Do a search for ATR and you will see my itinerary pop up.

Briefly:

Moivaro Coffee Lodge, Arusha (3)
Manyara Tree Lodge, Lake Manyara (2)
Ngorongoro Crater Lodge, NC (2)
Olduvai Camp, Serengeti (1)
Nomad Masek Camp, Serengeti (2)
Nomad Piaya Camp, Serengeti (2)
Emerson & Green, Stone Town, Zanzibar (2)
Palms Zanzibar (2)

Departure Date Feb 23rd 2006. I will only have to wait six months after returning from Zambia. Sorry, I am a whore talking about this while running so late. GOODBYE!!!!
Aug 30th, 2005, 01:52 PM

Is he still in-country? Have a great trip, and looking forward to trip report. If you get a chance, lob in an email from London advising whether your camera equipment made it across the pond safely and soundly. Or maybe Kavey can give the info if you don't have Internet access.

Michael
Aug 30th, 2005, 02:07 PM

Rocco versus the Virgin Atlantic check-in agent. I'm dying to know how it turns out

Have a great trip, Rocco!
Aug 30th, 2005, 02:09 PM

Good lord, I thought he was gone and back already. (sorry, I just learned how to make those faces.)

Bon voyage, Rocco, who is probably enjoying himself at LAX as we speak!
Aug 30th, 2005, 02:41 PM

Leely if Roccco can enjoy himself at LAX then he is well and truly blessed .

Bon Voyage, mon ami~
Aug 30th, 2005, 03:33 PM
sandi

He's not gone yet! WOW!
Like a bad penny! Can't get rid of him!

Both of you (Alexsandra, you're a good woman), have a great time and do keep in touch with your buddies back here, as if he wouldn't.

Happy travels and lots of photos!

Aug 30th, 2005, 07:36 PM

... and don't forget your larium!
Aug 31st, 2005, 01:39 AM

I'm impatient- I want your tripreport now!!
Hava great trip!!
Aug 31st, 2005, 05:47 AM

Hehe...I am in a Chinatown (London) internet cafe. Of course I was too flaky to remember to print out the name of the restaurant that I am meeting Julian and Kavey at, so here I am!

Flight was delayed from take off by 30 minutes and delayed from parking in a slot by another 30 minutes, so not much time for London.

Private car & driver met us at the airport and hopefully he does not skip town with all of our stuff!

The photo vest was LIFESAVER! Thanks for the advice to whomever advised me to get it. I had to stick the Sigma 80-400mm lens in it as well as wear one Canon 20d body w/ 70-200mm lens and 1.4x teleconvertor attached just to make weight. Furthermore I had to hand carry about four books! Virgin Atlantic was definitely playing by the rules at LAX.

The flight was not so great. We arrived at the airport an hour before our international flight (flakes). We lost our original seats and while I did have emergency row seating, I was in the middle. Reminder to self...LOSE SOME ******* WEIGHT!!!

It is business class from here on out until the return flight from London to LAX but that will be on a half empty flight. I slept a combined 15 minutes on the way over, so after I have a couple drinks with Kavey and Julian, I should be good for at least 6 or 7 hours sleep on the way to Johannesburg.

Write again from Cape Town in two weeks!
Aug 31st, 2005, 07:01 AM

Have a wonderful time!
Aug 31st, 2005, 07:04 AM

Glad you (and all your stuff) made it safely to London. Don't fret over your slight delay -- many of my colleagues are stranded becuase of flight cancellations after the hurricane.

Have a terrific trip, and if you remember, take a few photos ;-)

Michael
Aug 31st, 2005, 08:14 AM

Michael: LOL!!!!!!!!!!

Rocco and Alexsandra: Here's to a wonderful, fantastic adventure. Hope you enjoyed lunch with Julian, Kavey and whoever else..
Enjoy your return to Africa: breathe... relax...take a picture or two...
I can't wait until I'm in your shoes next year!

Aug 31st, 2005, 09:37 AM

Got back just now from lovely afternoon --- very nice to meet both Rocco and Alexandra and of course Julian again (we met a week or so back).

Oh and I had a last minute meeting in Hammersmith arranged yesterday afternoon for today at 11am so after that I popped to the Natural History Museum to see the Face to Face display of haunting facial portraits (printed giant size) of apes rescued from various horrifying situations. Photos by James Mollison. Really liked it.

Then went to Chinatown to meet Rocco and the Mrs...
Aug 31st, 2005, 10:00 AM
Original Poster

So Kavey - Is he the same in person as persona?
Aug 31st, 2005, 11:06 AM

Sounds like Rocco had an adventure in just getting to the airport.

I think I would die if I arrived at the airport for an international flight only ONE hour in advance. I tend to get pretty nervous in those situations.

I guess it's comforting that we have a friend dropping us at the airport about 3 hours prior to our departure on the 14th.

Very excited!

Cindy
Aug 31st, 2005, 02:33 PM

Met Rocco, Aleksandra and Kavey today for lunch in Chinatown. It was great to meet Rocco in person -- very much the way he sounds on-line! We spent most of our time talking about Africa (of course). I didn't get to see the famous vest though -- it was in the car.

Unfortunately today was a horrible day weather-wise -- very hot and humid, and we were all pretty uncomfortable. Rocco and Aleksandra did well to hire a car -- an hour on the Tube in this heat would have killed anyone.

Last I saw, they were in the car and heading off for a quick tour of London. Then to Zambia!

Cheers,
Julian
Sep 1st, 2005, 01:16 AM

Hello from Joburg Intl. Airport!!!

I leave in 30 minutes to Lusaka.

It was a beautiful flight from London to Joburg. It was a mess at the London Heathrow Airport, however, as we had to totally reconfigure our luggage to get everything in our two smaller suitcases. That took about an hour and we looked like gypsies on the floor rearranging everything. I do think had I held out a cup we may have received a few donations! Every so often a curious machine gun toting airport security officer would walk by and enquire about our intentions!

Anyway, the flight was good and I slept about 6 hours so I am very well rested. Off to Lusaka! Talk again in two weeks!

Search this Thread