Roccco - you left us hanging in Cape Town ...?

Jun 26th, 2003, 11:29 PM
Original Poster

Roccco - you left us hanging in Cape Town ...?

So we were in the middle of the trip report, breathlessly awaiting feedback on your day with fabulous Fodorite Selwyn. I'm going away for a few days and will be out of web reach (withdrawal symptoms already starting!) and I really want to hear the conclusion of your story. So sorry to hear about your credit card - it could have happened anywhere in the world but it happened here, and on behalf of all South Africans I apologise for the miserable actions of the few.
Jun 27th, 2003, 12:03 AM

I agree that it's a shame about the credit card story. I just wanted to mention that this also happened to me when I was in South Africa earlier this year. A week after my return, Visa called me to check whether I had been making purchases of computer equipment (over 2000 pounds worth) in Cape Town. I don't know who got hold of my details, but there are so many ways it could have happened, what with all the card imprints that were taken, and the number of establishments that required my credit card details in writing in order for me to make a booking.

Although it's true that it could have happened anywhere, I would like to draw people's attention to the fact that this is a recognised problem in South Africa. To the extent that when I booked my flight (using a credit card) to Jo-burg with BA, they insisted that I provide copies of my passport and card statement due to the "high level of credit card fraud in the destination country".

I don't think this should be a reason not to travel there, of course, as you are protected by your credit card company (or should be!!) against this kind of fraud.

But clearly, it's not a good idea to make payments using a debit-type card, as you could be left with severe cash-flow problems! (in my case, Visa simply struck the items off my bill and sent me a completely new card).
Jun 27th, 2003, 03:00 AM

OK, OK...you should see the report within about 45 minutes...I'll get started now.

(Like a diva, I guess I just needed a little more applause before I returned to the stage).

Search this Thread