Roccco - Simbambili

May 5th, 2005, 03:45 AM
africa_lover

Roccco - Simbambili

Hi Roccco,

Did you post your travel journal from the time you visited Simbambili somewhere on this site? I would like to read and show it to 'first time Africa' visitors who are joining me within 2 weeks on my safari .

May 5th, 2005, 05:24 AM

Africa Lover,

I have only been to Simbambili through keeping up with Taga Safaris "Leopards Of Simbambili" documentary that is updated a couple times per week. Have a look at the current update:

http://www.tagasafaris.co.za/african...est-events.htm

I expect Simbambili to offer some great close up action with leopards, and it will serve as the perfect dessert to my Zambian main course!
May 5th, 2005, 05:57 AM
africa_lover

thanks Roccco,

Me too, I read those diaries on tagasafaris.co.za .
But you know what, I have booked Simbambili partly because you posted such good comments on that lodge.
I will be able to tell you all about it when we return from SA at the beginning of June.
I will try to take nice pictures of both lodge, and animals and try (I'm not that good in such things) to post them on the web for you.
Simbambili looks like a lodge that's too good for the money we're paying , I just hope we won't be disappointed in it.
If it is small, intimate, nice rangers and trackers, some of the 'big 5' available , it will be just perfect..
Can't wait to be there, ..the smells, the sounds of Africa....

May 5th, 2005, 06:23 AM

Africa Lover,

I have not been to Simbambili but I know the area well from staying at neighboring Djuma Vuyatela a couple years ago.

While Simbambili is a pretty small reserve, it doesn't seem like they have to spend hours driving around since the leopards and other wildlife seem to be all around. Trust me, when a leopard is within a very close proximity, not too many people want to leave the sighting and start driving around looking for other wildlife.

There are definitely other places that are better for elephants, lions and other wildlife but solely for leopards, other than Mala Mala, Singita and Londolozi, I cannot imagine too many other places that are as strong for leopards as Simbambili.

I will advise you to pack warm clothes as it will be pretty cold on night game drives by early June.

What does the rest of your itinerary look like?
May 5th, 2005, 07:07 AM
africa_lover

Roccco,
I know about the weather , I've been staying in Inyati in July 2000 and it was freezing, yes, really freezing on morning game drives. So I will never again forget to pack warm clothing for morning gamedrives. Come to think of it, we have never been on safari during hot summer days .
As we are going for only 8 nights, I didn't want to travel great distances, or to pack light (for those little plains) , also because my parents (70y) are joining me and my husband .

I have booked Kings Camp / Timbavati 3 nights (they too , have great sightings on leopards). You should read the monthly reports from Kings Camp too, www.kingscamp.com . When we were there in 2001, we saw the leopards on every game drive (often the same girl) . Also did we see wilddogs on 2 occasions.

After that we are going for 'basic' tents, 2 nights Honyeguide Mantobeni tented camp. (the wine cellar looks good on photo ,lol).
We will finish our safari with the 3 nights at Simbambili.

And then one more night in Jo'burgs wonderful 'the Grace' (Rosebank) hotel.

Search this Thread