G Adventures - Jordan - feedback?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1st, 2015, 06:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are considering the following trip to Jordan as we will have a few days left on vacation on our return from India. Getting to Jordan would involve layover in either Dubai or Abu Dhabi - so the trip, even with smooth transitions, may be somewhat weary. Still, though, it's rare to be on the other side of the world and have an opportunity to do this (for us, anyway). We found the following tour that seems to pack a lot of the apparent "must-sees" and were wondering your opinions on this, and G Adventures in general. Many thanks. The alternative after this (since we have ruled out SE Asia for this trip) may be to go to Italy to eat in Naples and see Pompeii/Herculaneum, or, come home early and enjoy a good book (which also sounds great, but we just love to see the world!):

Day 1 Amman

Tour starts in Amman at noon. Your G Adventures CEO will pick you up at your hotel in Amman (overnight not included) or at the Amman Airport. Head first to Jerash, a fascinating ancient Roman city, for a guided visit. Later, continue to Ajloun. Explore the town and visit the famous Ajloun Castle before returning to Amman for the night.

Day 2 Wadi Rum (1B,1D)

Depart for the first stop of the day at Mt Nebo. Visit the church and take in spectacular views before heading to the Dead Sea to enjoy the opportunity to float in the salty water. Later, travel through beautiful desert scenery to Wadi Rum, home to the nomadic Bedouin people. Take a 4x4 deeper into the desert to reach the tented Bedouin camp. Enjoy a traditional meal and learn more about the ancient Bedouin culture on this overnight excursion.

Days 3 Petra/Wadi Musa (1B)

The ancient city of Petra is located in a secret valley in the Wadi Musa area. Explore this remote red-rock kingdom, which remained hidden from the world for years. Follow a local Bedouin guide through the best sights Petra has to offer.

Day 4 Amman (1B)

Journey ends back in Jordan's capital city, Amman, where you will be transferred either to the airport or your hotel in the city (overnight not included).
Old Jan 2nd, 2015, 05:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not enough time in Petra. G Adventures doesn't have the best rep. Have you looked at Intrepid?
Old Jan 2nd, 2015, 06:16 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the feedback. We'll look at Intrepid. I'm assuming you would recommend a least 2 full days, or 2 nights+1 day, to see Petra?

Thanks.
Old Jan 2nd, 2015, 07:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Right, I had three nights/two days, and I wouldn't have minded more, as I didn't get to Little Petra. Click on my name for the TR, or go here: http://mytimetotravel.wordpress.com/...eerless-petra/
Old Jan 3rd, 2015, 04:11 AM

I've used both G and Intrepid and there's very little difference between them ... as with any company, it all depends on the guide. Intrepid uses local guides and G uses English-first-language guides. Pros and cons to each.
Old Jan 3rd, 2015, 04:12 AM

(Before I get stomped on, there should have been an "in general" in that last paragraph!)