Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Road Trip from Cape Town?! (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/road-trip-from-cape-town-342045/)

kespeer Jul 28th, 2003 02:47 PM

Road Trip from Cape Town?!

I will be staying in Cape Town for 5 nights to kick off my honeymoon and will be taking a road trip for 5 nights (destinations TBD) from there. Can anyone suggest a route? I like the coast, but I would like to see more than just the Garden Route.....I love hiking, nature, quaint small towns with a good pub where I can meet local folks.
Eventually, I need to get back to J'burg, so I'm undecided whether I should do a loop and fly from Cape Town, or if I should fly from Port Elizabeth (or even Durban....or is that too ambitious?). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Karen

sandi Jul 29th, 2003 03:32 AM

I can't propose an itinerary, but can say that if you ventue as far as Port Elizabeth or Durban, it's just as easy to fly onto JNB.

I'm one of those folks that believes in moving in one direction and not big on backtracking (unless absolutely necessary because there is no other way to "get there from here").

Besides from Port Elizabeth or Durban it's a long road back to CPT.

traci_local_in_sa Jul 29th, 2003 05:17 AM

Trying to make it to Durban inside 5 days and still stopping to admire the scenery might be pushing it.
If the coast is not a priority then the Klein Karoo and Marico areas are filled with the most wonderful little towns which will fit the bill perfectly! I'd suggest that you head up the West Coast for a bit (Paternoster is lovely), then travel inland through the Namaqualand, stop at Darling (say Hi to Evita), then on through to Beaufort West, before moving down to one of the best beaches in SA at Plettenberg Bay - stopping anywhere that looks interesting on the way. From there it is a short trip to Port Elizabeth and you can fly from PE to JHB direct. You don't mention the time of year, but if it is August/September then you will be able to catch the daisies in full bloom, quite amazing. I'm guessing that you know the best way to find the characters you seek is to simply arm yourself with a good map (the AA in Cape Town will be able to assist), stay off the main arteries, pick a direction and go. Enjoy!
Traci
PS. I've just remembered that there is a local (SA) TV programme on right now called "Going Nowhere Slowly" - three young guys in a car with the only restriction being that they cannot travel on any national roads - and a book of the same name is available. It might be worth trying to get a copy. Search on www.kalahari.net for SA book sales.

Selwyn_Davidowitz Jul 29th, 2003 12:58 PM

Hi Kespeer,

I have to tell you that I feel that Traci has given you a wonderful tour plan to do when you leave Cape Town. My feelings are that the only proviso to the itinerary would be what your dates are that you are travelling because if you are travelling in August - November there should be no problem but from December through to March you will fry to a cinder in the areas that you will be travelling in if you follow this tour plan. I actually hope that you are not travelling in this hot period as I really think that the "Traci-ride" is a wonderful rustic yet exciting way to see South Africa and believe me it really is a very different way. This tour plan is not the one that one is taught in a tourguide class. It is original and wonderful and I cant stop lauding it. Well done Traci for passing on such great advice.

Thanks for the tip on the TV Programme Traci as I have not seen the programme as yet but will do so on Sunday when it is aired. The book does not seem to be on Kalahari.net as yet but I am sure it will be soon.

Off the subject: Traci where is your company holding its conference that you asked me to help you with venue advice? Beach House Hotel in Kleinmond or not?

Kespeer hope that you have a wonderful wedding and enjoy your South African honeymoon to the full.

Selwyn Davidowitz
[email protected]
Very proudly part of the wonderful ((r))nation of South Africa

traci_local_in_sa Jul 29th, 2003 10:21 PM

Howzit Selwyn

Well the conference is booked for 1 - 3 October, but the organiser is being very secretive about the destination so I honestly have no idea where! I think it may be a case of "If you can follow the clues and find the venue, then you qualify to attend!" Thanks so much for the info on The Beach House - it looks stunning and for all I know we may very well be having the event there. The only clue I have is that it is not a driveable distance from Johannesburg ... will just have to wait and see. My suspicions are currently leaning towards Swakopmund, we had an amazing and totally misbehaved conference there last year although I suspect that passport control in Walvis Bay has the photo's of a few colleagues (probably mine too) on hand with the warning not to allow us back! :->
That having been said - I may be forced to miss the event as I have two post-grad Unisa exams scheduled for sometime in the first 2 weeks of October. :-(
Thanks for your kind comments - I just love the type of trip that Karen is contemplating. I always try to incorporate getting to know the locals (and not just hospitality staff) on my travels - it really adds to the trip in immeasureable ways.
Traci

kespeer Aug 5th, 2003 01:59 PM

thanks to both of you. I thnk I will definitely try this route. The road less travelled always has more appeal, if you ask me..
I will be there the third week in October....hopefully I won't fry!
Thanks again,
Karen