Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Riads in Fes (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/riads-in-fes-623940/)

bwd Jun 15th, 2006 07:33 PM

Riads in Fes

Any feedback on the following riads in Fes:
Pasha Baghdadi Massriya
Dar Bennis
Riad Les Oudayes
Lune et Soleil
Riad Fes
Riad Zitouin

Riad al BArtel, Dar Rhoumana and Mabrouka are not available for our dates. Any other suggestions?

Also, is A/C imperative in August?

jenmaroc Jun 16th, 2006 05:25 AM

The first two in your list are not hotels or guesthouses, but self-catering accomodation. I've not seen the Massriya, but Dar Bennis lovely.

Riad Fes is one of the biggest and most expensive riads in Fes. Its gorgeous, but not to everyone's taste...if smaller, more intimate establishments are your thing.

I dont know of Riad Zitoun. Lune et Soleil is a nice smaller place with a lot of good artwork featured in the rooms.

Les Oudayas has a more chic "Marrakech" look about it, and I've heard good thigns about the food (never eaten there myself).

August can be very hot in Fes. Is AC imperative? - I dont know what your threshhold is. I've never had AC here, but have spent a couple restless sweaty nights. If you select a place without it, try to adjust your daily rhythm to the pace of life here. Sleep for a couple hours after lunch to miss the hottest part of the day (you might as well, every one else does so nothing is open), dont attempt too much activity until sunset. In the summer, merchants and shops stay open until late. Take lots of cool showers, drink a lot of water, and you can fend off the worst of the heat.

karinw Jun 16th, 2006 12:53 PM

Jenmaroc-
Since you are living in Fes, perhaps you might have a general answer for me about evening temps?

I am packing for a trip to Morocco and will leave in a couple of days. We realize the days will be very hot and have packed accordingly with cotton or linen loose clothing. My question is about evening temperatures. We will be spending several nights at Kasbah Toukal in the mountains and also in the desert of Merzouga. I've heard it can get cool at night but I can't find a temp range of what that means!

I'd like to pack as lightly as possible but don't want to omit sweatshirts, sweatpants, fleece or such if we need it.

Do you have any advice?

bwd Jun 16th, 2006 05:41 PM

Jenmaroc, Thank you for yor thoughtful, informative reply. We are looking for a smaller, authentic type lodging. We are not intimidated by experiencing different cultures and can speak french. But do you think as a first time visitor to Fes, the self-catering mode is not the best way to make the most of a short stay? The Massriya has a concierge and guide available and will even loan us cell phones.

What about the Dar El Hana or Riad Al Pacha? Thay are both available at that time, also.

jenmaroc Jun 17th, 2006 12:30 AM

bwd - I mentioned the self-catering thing simply because I think sometimes people dont realise the Massriya and Dar Bennis are not guesthouses. They are both lovely and I recommend them both.

I have not heard good things about Riad Pacha and my limited experience withthem has been a little frustrating.

karinw - the evening temperatures are in the 50s and 60s (12-16° C). Bring one or two light wraps or a cardigan that you can slip on if it becomes chilly or breezy.
Dar el Hana is new one - I'm not familiar with it.

jenmaroc Jun 17th, 2006 12:32 AM

sorry, my reply got a little jumbled up - but hopefully it was clear.

bwd Jun 17th, 2006 08:32 PM

Any word on the following riads?
Riad au Vingt Jasmins
Dar Aqiba
Dar Serghini
Riad la Cle de Fes
Riad Jaouhara
Thanks for your input!

jenmaroc Jun 18th, 2006 12:28 AM

Someone I know recently had some friends staying at Jaouhara - with good feedback, but thats its really the only experience I've had with any of thoses. They are all recent additions. Were all the other places booked?

bwd Jun 19th, 2006 08:06 PM

No, they were not all booked but as I kept looking, I kept finding others that looked interesting but could not find any reviews on them anywhere (Trip Advisor, etc.).

Just curious if you had any feedback on any,negative or positive, to steer us away from any in particular. I am so excited about being in the Medina and getting the full experience for our short stay but with two teenage boys, if the accomodations are really uncomfortable, I will never hear the end of it!

Do you think a riad with a pool is important in August? Or as you said before "lots of cool showers" should do it?

jenmaroc Jun 20th, 2006 03:09 AM

Regarding the pool, thats difficult for someone else to answer as its a question of your personal taste and preference. How important is a pool to you and your family? If that's your preferred method of dealing with heat, then I'd say reserve a place with a pool. Most riads dont have large pools given the nature of the buildings, so you cant do laps or anything, but you can cool off.