Revising trip, What to give up?

Feb 6th, 2015, 05:12 PM
KBD
Original Poster

Revising trip, What to give up?

Husband & I had a leisurely trip planned leaving April 14th. Accommodations booked (except Haifa), but not airfare yet.
Arrive TLV, spend 2 nites,
drive to Eliat spend 1 nite,
cross border and spend 3 nites at Wadi Musa - see Petra at leisurely pace,
travel back to Eilat for 1 nite,
then head to Ein Gedi for 2 nites & see Masada, hike some & float in the Dead Sea.
Drive to Jerusalem seeing Qumran on the way and spend 25 nites in Jerusalem
seeing Jericho & Bethlehem while there.

Head north to Arbel stopping at Beit She'An Gan Hashlosha & Yardinit on the way to 5
nite stay in Arbel.
1 nite in Nazareth
3 nites in Haifa seeing also Acre and Caesaria & Zirchon while there.

Last night possibly in TLV to be nearer airport for rental car check-in etc . with
enough time to get through security- Depends on flight time.

Now we need to cut 17 nites out of the trip to be back home to take care of grandkids as their parents prepare to move the family to Europe.

I hate to tell the apartment owner that we have to reduce our stay in Jerusalem. I think we should leave the southern portion of the trip the same and cut Jerusalem to an 11 nite
stay. Omit the Nazareth stay and see Nazareth with a drive in from Arbel seeing Cana and Zippori on the same trip. Haifa needs to be one night and that means maybe no time for Acre. We can still stop at Caesaria and Zirchon on the way to TLV. Some say don't give one night to TLV at the end, but I always worry of getting stuck on the road and missing my flight. Guess it depends on what time the flight is.

The accommodation changes are 5: reduce apartment stay, shift dates for Arbel, cancel Nazareth, book Haifa for 1 or 2 nites, and shift or cancel last nite in TLV. Does this make sense? Its a shame I can't find time for Megiddo, but not sure I can even see Acre. Do I have my priorities right? I don't think I should cut any more out of Jerusalem or postpone the trip to 2016 and do the long version.

We're a retired couple age 69 & 70 who normally have all the time we want and don't travel on tours because we don't want to be rushed and given a schedule that has to be followed. Doing our own planning and study forces us to learn more of what we'll see.. Now do we have a decent plan?
Feb 8th, 2015, 09:57 AM

This doesn't have to be your only visit to Israel. Many return time and time again, especially JER as there's never sufficient time to see everything. Why not just split the trip. Work from mid-country south this visit; next year do the north.

It's not like you have to go back to work! Now's the time to 'go easy' and not rush thru your holidays.

Search this Thread