Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Return of the rustic bush camps (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/return-of-the-rustic-bush-camps-746880/)

nyama Nov 6th, 2007 03:53 AM

Return of the rustic bush camps

Well, it looks like Wilderness Safaris finally have heard the more adventurous of us...

WS just have launched a new company, Safari & Adventure Co., that will offer a suite of affordable lodges and camps in key wildlife areas of SA, Namibia and Zambia (Botswana under consideration).

Quote from the press release: "Safari & Adventure Co. camps staffed by young and enthusiastic southern Africans offer a return to a rustic bush camp experience."

Kavey Nov 6th, 2007 04:34 AM

Thanks for this good news... how exciting. I can't wait to learn more...

cybor Nov 6th, 2007 04:43 AM

Count me in as being excited.

Hope that their idea of affordable is the same as mine.

HariS Nov 6th, 2007 07:13 AM

Nyama,

Sounds fantastic!!! Plans still on the drawing board? can't wait to hear the details of these new options .....

Cheers,
Hari

atravelynn Nov 6th, 2007 07:30 AM

Bravo! Bravo!

rickmck Nov 6th, 2007 08:10 AM

nyama, can you post a link to the full press release?

nyama Nov 6th, 2007 08:44 AM

rickmck -- WS sent me this press release by email, I'm not aware of an online version.

Some more info: Emphasis will be on lively interaction and activity in the communal spaces with well appointed rooms. Their aim is to create a space where young and old couples, families, single travellers and groups are equally comfortable. Nature experience is important above all else and camps are situated in prime locations in or adjacent to Kruger National Park, iSimangaliso (Greater St Lucia) Wetland Park, Sossusvlei, Damaraland, Etosha, Caprivi and Kafue National Park. WS will be announcing specific camp details at regular intervals over the coming four months.

A website of the new company is not available yet, but you should check www.safariadventure.co.za in the future.

My guess (not confirmed): Safari & Adventure Co. will use WS's Discoverer Camps which are currently used exclusively for WS Explorations safaris and which are indeed situated in prime locations. I'm thinking about places such as Musanza Camp (Kafue/Zambia) or Hoanib Camp (Palmwag/Namibia), and I've waited for such a strategic decision already for a long time. But as said, this has to be confirmed.

Patty Nov 6th, 2007 10:06 AM

Looking forward to more details.

Sherry,
I was thinking the same thing ;)

napamatt Nov 6th, 2007 11:38 AM

Sign me up for Greater St Lucia

nyama Nov 6th, 2007 12:21 PM

Haha, I hear the birder speaking...

afrigalah Nov 6th, 2007 01:02 PM

Nyama,

Sounds like it could be a step back in the right direction. You'll forgive my caution. You have to wonder why Botswana is merely 'under consideration' when WS probably has access to more territory there than anywhere else, including many of the 'key wildlife areas.'

John

nyama Nov 6th, 2007 01:27 PM

John -- 'under consideration' were my own words, the original text is: "we... intend expanding this product offering into Botswana and beyond as opportunities for development arise."

The Botswana product is the cash cow for WS, and number of beds in each concession are strictly limited. As I understand they don't want to 'disturb' their current business in this country and are waiting for either a change in allowed bed numbers or even new concessions.

nyama Nov 6th, 2007 01:34 PM

Maybe they are also waiting that their deal with OAT phases out, but this is purely speculative...

afrigalah Nov 6th, 2007 02:03 PM

Nyama,

"Cash cow" -- yeah, your words again, I know, but how true :)

John

afrigalah Nov 6th, 2007 04:14 PM

I've just received the same press release.

John

afrigalah Nov 7th, 2007 09:38 PM

ttt

sniktawk Nov 8th, 2007 12:31 AM

Here is the full press release

THE LAUNCH OF SAFARI & ADVENTURE CO.

A NEW WILDERNESS SAFARIS COMPANY

The Wilderness Safaris Group and our local partners are excited to announce the launch of a new company: Safari & Adventure Co.

The bed-night-based Safari & Adventure Co. has been launched in response to the market demand seeking product across southern Africa in the mid-tier ecotourism and adventure market. The imperative values of sustainable and responsible tourism and commitment to local community economies are integral to Safari & Adventure Co.

We will be launching a suite of affordable lodges and camps in key wildlife and nature areas of South Africa, Namibia and Zambia and intend expanding this product offering into Botswana and beyond as opportunities for development arise.

Safari & Adventure Co. camps staffed by young and enthusiastic southern Africans offer a return to a rustic bush camp experience. The emphasis is on lively interaction and activity in the communal spaces with well appointed rooms. Our aim is to create a space where young and old couples, families, single travellers and groups are equally comfortable.

The nature experience is important above all else and camps are situated in prime locations in or adjacent to Kruger National Park, iSimangaliso (Greater St Lucia) Wetland Park, Sossusvlei, Damaraland, Etosha, Caprivi and Kafue National Park.

We will be announcing specific camp details at regular intervals over the coming four months and look forward to continuing old and embracing new relationships.

ENDS

I think that its just another way of marketing 4 paw camps.

nyama Nov 8th, 2007 04:36 AM

Forum rules forbid copying and posting of longer texts from other sources. That's why I didn't make it this way...

nyama Nov 17th, 2007 07:46 PM

Update: the website has been launched but currently only features the initial press release,
www.safari-adventure-company.com

HariS Nov 17th, 2007 07:52 PM

Nyama,

The link mentions Kafue NP. Should be a good alternate to thier other camps.

Hari