Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Restrooms in Jordan (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/restrooms-in-jordan-821294/)

MissGreen Jan 11th, 2010 11:30 PM

Restrooms in Jordan

Can anyone tell me what the restrooms are like in the tourist areas of Jordan. I was reading lonely planet and it said NOT to go to any public toilets.. hmm. Oh, it also said most are squad toilets, except those in the mid to high end hotels and restaurants.

Thanks.

MissGreen Jan 12th, 2010 01:59 AM

squat instead of squad!!!

tinydancer Jan 12th, 2010 03:26 AM

We only went to Petra on a day trip from Eilat, but I will share my experience with you. After having also just been through Egypt, where they charged for the toilets but they were quite acceptable, I personally found the toilets at the border gift shop, and in Petra, to be very poorly looked after in spite of someone being there with their hand out for payment. I don't even think they gave t.p., but not sure as it's been 8 months ago since our trip. And yes, I do believe they are only squats.

Elizabeth_S Jan 12th, 2010 03:52 AM

Just replied to your itinerary email, but my experience was different - used the toilets at Jerash, Wadi Rum, Petra (buffet restaurant), Kerak and other restaurants and found a western toilet option everywhere.

thursdaysd Jan 12th, 2010 05:10 AM

Where does LP say not to use the toilets??? My 7th edition has a piece on toilets on p.301 and it doesn't say anything about not using them.

The restaurants at Petra have Western toilets. There are also some public toilets near the theater in those plastic huts you see at building sites. Be careful - the lady in charge will demand too much money.

As far as I remember the toilets at Jerash were western also. I don't really remember the toilets elsewhere, but then I don't have a problem with squats so long as they don't smell. In fact, if I have doubts about a country's plumbing infrastructure, I prefer them.

Take your own TP.

dutyfree Jan 12th, 2010 08:52 AM

Never had a problem not having western toilets in Jordan-ANYWHERE. Just bring packages of kleenex for your pockets and some Purell and you are good to go.Where you are going on your LE tour you will NOT have any problems with finding a decent toilet.

MissGreen Jan 14th, 2010 12:51 AM

Thursdaysd...

My Middle East Lonely Planet Guide.... from page 403, in the section on Jordan.....

QUOTE "TOILETS... Public toilets are to be avoided except in cases of extreme emergency"

Do you need me to justify anything else in my post?

Thanks all for your answers.

thursdaysd Jan 14th, 2010 05:53 AM

LP Jordan apparently disagrees with LP Middle East. I'd be more inclined to go with LP Jordan. And I've seen much worse toilets (in Asia) than anything I remember in Jordan.

andrys Jan 15th, 2010 03:14 PM

Jordan's toilets were a huge relief after Egypt!

It was night and day.

But, always be prepared, just in case, as dutyfree advises...