Restaurants in Tel Aviv and Jerusalem

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13th, 2008, 03:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I asked 2 weeks ago but we are off in 3 days to Israel. We received some good suggestions ftom the talk forum but do NOT enjoy fish. We are into chicken, beef, veal, lamb and shrimp (seafood). We want to spend $60-$80 (3.6 Schekels=$1USD) for dinner for my wife and I with an adequate white wine/tax/tip in an upscale/casual but not places for the "rich and famous" that also has A/C if temps area bit warm. We have 3 nights in Jerusalem, 3 in Tel Aviv, 2 in Tiberias(staying at the Scott) and 1 night in Haifa. Since Chefs change any experience in 2007-08 would be most helpful. Thanks.
Old Oct 14th, 2008, 07:36 AM

StanKase: We're off in 2 weeks and I have been checking this forum for replies to your post. Since there have been none, I printed out a list of recommended restaurants from Frommers and Fodors and am checking out the most likely candidates through their web pages. You might also want to check with tripadvisor. Good luck and happy travels!
Old Oct 15th, 2008, 03:38 PM
aby

StanKase

my <b>Tel-aviv</b> restau expert says there are no upscale Res' for that budget (for a full dinner)
the good news is that AC is no problem <u>everywhere</u> (in contrary to Istanbul for example)
a glass of wine will cost a min of $8-10 (pp)
for $80 one can take main course +wine at an upscale res'

business lunch is possible
e.g. Chez Romy http://www.2eat.co.il/eng/chez_romy/
though browsing through the dinner menu you can make a nice combination of of seafood + pasta
(In many fish Res' the business
menu is due all day so for a $30 pp
you get a full meal)

bon appetit

aby

<font color="brown"> use the above site to scan for your choice of adequate places</font>
Old Oct 16th, 2008, 08:26 AM

Food in Israeli restaurants is actually very reasonable and the restaurants in Tel Aviv and Jerusalem are generally very high standards.

You should be able to meet that budget fairly easily.

Hope this helps

--

http://www.touristisrael.com
Old Oct 16th, 2008, 09:59 AM
Original Poster

I am sure you are correct but instead of choosing blindly I thought I could get some recommendations from fellow travelers of Continental, Italian, Israeli. lite French restaurants. With 9 nights eating out at $70-$80 for 2 persons that's a fair amount of money and if we choose unwisely it would be a shame. To the dinners we have to add ~$200 for lunches so we are spending $1000 on food in Tel Aviv, Jerusalem, Tiberias and Haifa. I am generally not a fan of hotel food.With hotels running $350-$400/night plus the guide it's an expensive trip.
We leave for the airport in 6 hours.
Old Oct 16th, 2008, 10:43 AM

StanKase,
If you are truly looking fo upscale,
$60-80 for 2 including wine is really tough. Upscale places have upscale prices in Israel.
There are many lovely really casual places, with emphasis on local ingredients (especially produce)in all cities that will cost you about half of that. But if you want upscale, especially with the weakness of the US Dollar, the price range you've listed is not enough.
Israelis tend to eat large meals during the day, yet even the finest restaurants tend to have &quot;business lunches&quot; that are often much less expensive than the a la carte dinners.
Have a good trip and be sure to let us know of any gems you find!
Old Oct 16th, 2008, 02:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the inputs. We are touring with a guide driver each day for 8 of the 9 days from 8:30-5:30. Therefore we will likely not be in the cities mentioned on most days nor do we want to spend 1 hr. plus eating vs. seeing the sights we came 6000 miles to see. We will up the ante but where I do not know a few nights and eat casual the others. We are used to eating light lunches and a bit heavier dinners. There in lies the problem based on what has been said. We will try Romy, though. Will finish packing and check back in 1 1/2 hrs. for casual places with A/C with relly good food in the cities we will be staying in.
Thanks again.
Old Oct 17th, 2008, 08:01 AM

The best food in Israel is actually in the street stands.

Check where the locals go to eat and go there.
Old Oct 17th, 2008, 01:24 PM

We had excellent moderately priced food throughout Israel by simply asking for suggestions at our hotels. I also had some listings from the English language Israeli newspaper on line www.haaretz.com. Under their Travel section they have restaurant articles and a restaurant search feature by location, cuisine and price. The restaurant critic there is Daniel Rogov so maybe a google search of him will turn up more. Or if you know the website www.chowhound.com.
Old Oct 18th, 2008, 05:22 PM

Since most hotels offer very generous breakfast (lots of dairy products and salads), you probably won't feel like spending much for lunch. We are usually happy with either falafel or schwarma.

In Jerusalem, we enjoyed Italian restaurant Agas ve Tapuach. Or El Gaucho or Entrecote for steakhouse. Both are kosher--so no dairy products served.

If you want top-notch french, you can try 1868 or Villandry, but both would be well above $80 per person, esp if you include wine.