How far from J'burg to Sun City & safaris?

Old Nov 7th, 2001, 01:13 AM
Janes

How far from J'burg to Sun City & safaris?

We are trying to plan a trip to SA, but I can't figure out how far Sun City is from J'burg, and how far Kruger and other game reserves are from J'burg. Is this a quick car ride away, or much better to fly from J'burg to the game reserves? Thanks.

Old Nov 7th, 2001, 04:15 AM
local

Janes

Sun City and the Pilanesberg game reserve is about an hour and a half to two hours away from J'burg. Kruger Park is about 4 - 5 hours' serious driving from J'burg. If I have the time, I always drive as I then also see the rest of the country. You can however fly to both if you want. Flights leave from J'burg.

Websites that could help:

www.suninternational.com for information about Sun City; www.saa.co.za for flight info to these places - Skukuza is the airport for the Kruger Park;
www.parks-sa.co.za/knp/general.htm for info about the Kruger Park - please note the malaria button
www.parks-nw.co.za for info about the Pilanesberg and other reserves at Sun City;
www.aa-travel.com could help with accommodation;
www.southafrica.net with general tourist info

There is quite a lot more to see around the Kruger Park than at Sun City eg. Pilgrims Rest, God's Window, Bourke's Luck Potholes etc - see www.mpumalanga.com for more info

Hope this helps!!

Ps. Summer in both Sun City and the Kruger Park is scorching hot!!

Old Nov 7th, 2001, 08:06 AM
L

JGB to Kruger's southern area where most of the great game lodges are is 5 hours - on N4 to Neilsprout. Easy drive. Sun City is very close to JBG ... but are you sure you really want to go to SA to see Sun City? Presumably you've read about the place ... it outdoes Las Vegas from what I've heard. Enjoy SA - splendid. Save most of your time for the animals. Ciao

Old Nov 7th, 2001, 10:15 AM
Celia

Sun City is fun if you want to be pampered, and the food in all the restaurants is really really good. We saw eland in the Pilanesburg game reserve near there. I think its strong point is supposed to be birds -- someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I've always driven from Jo'burg to Kruger, and it's really an all-day drive, or you can take longer and stop at God's Window and the other places mentioned by "local" above.

We have always gotten malaria pills after we get to SA, rather than getting them in the US. They're cheaper over there, and the local pharmacist knows more about which particular kinds are best for where you're going.

By the way, has the airport code for Johannesburg changed? It used to be JNB, not JBG.

Old Nov 7th, 2001, 11:36 AM
L

JNB is the code. I was merely abbreviating Jo'burg. Ciao