Residential Real Estate at Phinda?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7th, 2009, 08:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have I missed posts? Is anyone familiar with this scheme, African Homsesteads at Phinda?

http://www.andbeyondafrica.com/luxur...home_on_phinda

It's basically luxury homes for sale within Phinda. It's a Getty enterprise, which basically CCAfrica/&beyond has been from day one. But selling homesites at Phinda? Can't see how private residential real estate development can possibly be consistent with the green tourism line they've been selling for years.

Given the current economic collapse, good luck to them...or maybe they've sold them all already. But real, how is private real estate development consistent with the conservation line they've sold all these years, and which up until now I've bought hook line sinker? I think I've just gone off Phinda and &beyond in a big way.

Anybody familiar? Any thoughts?
Old Mar 8th, 2009, 07:32 AM

If I had 6 million dollars laying around I would think about this. It seems they are doing everything they can to minimize the impact to the environment. But considering you can buy entire game reserves for 6 million dollars it does seem like a lot of money. It would be cool to have a summer/winter house in Africa.

Scott
Old Mar 8th, 2009, 07:34 AM

Last I looked they were about $6 mill US dollars and I don't recall an environmental impact statement regarding these homesteads.

Phinda is also building some earthworm trenches so the worms can break waste into compost. Presumably the worm trenches and homesteads will not be in close proximity. Or maybe your own worm trench with each homestead could be a selling point. How many people have their own worm trench?
Homestead&worm trench could be a hit.

A year ago they did acquire some more land and their plan is to more than double the size of Phinda. To that end, they may need the $$ these homesteads generate and the impact of these permanent private residences may be diminished as the size of the whole reserve increases.

In this market, if they don't sell, maybe they'll turn into very nice accommodations for Phinda mobiles. Like you, Mike, I don't know if they are sold or not. I know I am not a buyer.

I hope the new name & homesteads ultimately help wildlife and the local people that live there.
Old Mar 12th, 2009, 07:51 AM

Hi there Mike14c, Scootr29 and Atravelynn

We’re delighted to discover that you’re as passionate about the environment and sustainability as we are and we appreciate having a platform such as Fodors to respond to the issues and questions you have raised about &Beyond’s African Homesteads.

First up, a little background: &Beyond is one of the pioneers in sustainable responsible tourism and ecological considerations have been taken at every stage of the African Homesteads initiative, a venture with Tara Getty. Our web site details the numerous conservation firsts, innovations and awards we have received to date plus the fact that we were one of the core signatories to the International Kerala Declaration on Responsible Tourism.

The Getty family for their part is one of the major shareholders in &Beyond. Over the past 20 years they have played a pivotal role in turning what was once
14 000 hectares of degraded farmland into the 23 000 hectares of pristine wildlife land known as &Beyond Phinda Private Game Reserve, with space for thousands of animals to roam freely.

In order that it stays that way, the African Homesteads venture includes a total of only 15 homes on carefully chosen sites. And there are several ecological benefits that the sale of these homes will realise. It will, for example allow us the opportunity to even further extend the borders of &Beyond Phinda from the current 23 000 hectares and to move non-essential infrastructure such as workshops and staff accommodations,
off the Reserve. A state-of-the art staff village is planned on the border of &Beyond Phinda which would decrease the volume of vehicles on the Reserve.

Utmost care was taken during the construction of the recently-completed African Homestead show home (and the same strict procedures will apply during the construction of the remaining 14 homes). The result is zero negative impact outside the confines of the building footprint; no established trees or animals were uprooted during the building process. The African Homesteads show home was designed around two beautiful old trees: one, a grand Marula tree which has become a major feature in the centre of the indoor living area, and the other an impressive Weeping Boer Bean Tree around which the outside deck was erected. (You can view see the latter on the image section of www.africanhomesteads.com)

Are we a luxury adventure travel company? Absolutely, yes! --- a responsible, luxury adventure travel company.

&Beyond has been built on three core values: Care of the Land. Care of the Wildlife. Care of the People. It’s a model that we’re proud of and one that has enabled us to bring meaningful and lasting benefits not only to the natural environments in which we operate, but also to the communities that surround our operations.

We have a relatively small footprint in terms of buildings and numbers of guests with a disproportionately large positive impact on the wildlife and the people interwoven with &Beyond. Our entire group comprises less than 450 bedrooms. Even with the additional 60 bedrooms (four per each of the 15 African Homesteads) we are smaller than most mid-size city hotels – but we help to sustain more than 809 000 hectares of the world’s most precious wildlife land.

By doing well we can do good – and vice a versa, a model we intend taking with us to the countries where we are expanding. Others see the multi merits in our model too: &Beyond has also been invited to establish and manage luxury lodges in other parts of the world by the Governments of those interested countries.

And, it all starts with delighting guests and African Homesteads owners…..

Regards
Cynthia Walley
Manager, Group Marketing Special Projects
&Beyond
Johannesburg, South Africa
[email protected]
Old Mar 12th, 2009, 09:00 AM

Cynthia

Thanks for your response, it's nice to hear from the company involved.

Matt
Old Mar 12th, 2009, 04:41 PM

I just wish I could buy one!!!!
Old Mar 12th, 2009, 04:57 PM
cw

aowens--me too! Maybe we could buy a communal Fodorite homestead?
Old Mar 13th, 2009, 05:30 AM

There's no such thing as luxury adventure.
Old Mar 13th, 2009, 03:37 PM

Thanks for all the specifics Cynthia! Hope everything goes as planned and the area benefits. Thanks for the oxymoron Gritty.
Old Mar 13th, 2009, 09:30 PM

Such decadence in the bush. Are they nuts?