"Reserving" seats on Air Kenya

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 16th, 2006, 12:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As some may remember my wife has a real issue with small planes, but has decided she will fly one way to Meru NP. She feels the need to sit in a seat immediately behind the cockpit, where she is sure she will be safer and promises to try not to freak out the other passengers too much

Since we cannot book seats in advance can anyone, based on experience with boarding procedures, give me advice on how she can ensure she gets that seat?

I am willing to go to great lengths over this, but would very much prefer a non-violent method that doesn't result in being ejected from teh aircraft

I think it will be a 16-seater, by the way, since the same plane goes on to Samburu.

Thanks
Paul

Hey, I eventually remembered to sign off!
Old May 16th, 2006, 04:34 AM

10 mg. of valium 1 hr. pror to departure should do the trick!
Won't care which seat.
Old May 16th, 2006, 04:35 AM

edit - prior
Old May 16th, 2006, 05:20 AM
sandi

Get to the airport early and tell whomever is in charge which seat you'd like and why? Be sure you're the first to board so you can grab that front seat. Otherwise, go the drug route!

Old May 16th, 2006, 08:21 AM
Original Poster

Good answer - why didn't think of valium before! Only thing is how long do the effects of valium last for after a night's sleep?

We will certainly get to the airport early and I'll take a hip flask (unless we've gone the drug route).

Paul
Old May 16th, 2006, 10:09 AM

If she's never taken valium, I'd test it out first. One time I felt (quite pleasantly) dopey for about 24 hours after taking it.

Also, I sat in that seat on a short flight in a tiny plane from Zanzibar to Dar. I thought it was pretty much a makes-me-throw-up spot. So if she's very motion sensitive that may not be the best place for her. Of course it was interesting keeping an eye on the pilot.
Old May 16th, 2006, 10:16 AM
sandi

If not Valium which is known to leave people groggy, you may want to consider a much newer pill - Ativan (comes in .05mg, 1mg and 2mg); the generic name is Lorazepam available in, I believe, only 1mg & 2mg. I buy the 2mg, break them in half and take half at a time (if more than 1mg needed). For me, they just cut any edginess and don't make me sleepy at all.

Old May 16th, 2006, 10:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for that Sandi. That sounds good. I'll suggest she tries it out to see how it makes her feel.

She doesn't get sick Leely - it's just a psychological thing; if she is convinced she will be better off in that seat, then she will be. Actually it's good news that it's a rough seat - it'll be easier to get it.
Old May 16th, 2006, 03:32 PM

I just wanted to say good luck. I think it'll be easier trying to secure a specific seat since you're leaving from Nairobi rather than the other way around when there might already be passengers aboard.

I can sympathize since I have my own small aircraft issues (nothing to do with safety, just claustrophobia - in other words mine is really a small aircraft/subway/shuttle bus/crowded elevator issue), so here's hoping that neither of us has a panic attack on our flights in December!
Old May 16th, 2006, 05:37 PM
Original Poster

If you do Patty, let me know and we'll tell the staff at check-in that she'll be "even worse than that woman last week" - that should work! ;-)