Chobe Chilwero vs. Chobe Marine Lodge

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19th, 2004, 05:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was wondering if anyone has stayed at either of these two lodges? I understand that Chobe Chilwero is significantly more expensive and I am sure it is much more posh, but I was wondering if the additional cost is really warranted in terms of access to the wildlife etc?
Old Jul 19th, 2004, 06:40 AM
sandi

We stayed at Chilwero and admittedly is is absolutely lovely and probably more expensive than Chobe Marine. I believe this latter lodge is in the town of Kassane and was in the process of being built, or it had just opened. Have no idea what the rooms look like, but it is much larger property than Chilwero, which I believe has less then 10-individual A-frame houses with indoor and outdoor showers, large bathroom, very large bedroom, separate sitting area and your own private (small) garden for relaxing on sunning yourself.

As to the difference, if any, in animal viewing, regardless where you are, "sightings" can never be guaranteed. We are dealing with animals, but a good guide is to your benefit and often this is a gamble.

On our four various trips to a number of African safari countries, there have been a few occasions where we didn't see much on game drives - it just happens that way and yet never found this a disappointment. When there were no big animals, there were plenty of birds to find and learn about. It depends a lot on realictic expectations.

That said, and depending of where you might be staying on the balance of your itinerary - Chilwero is still a less expensive option for accommodation then the high prices for luxury in South Africa. One can stay at an adventure camping spot that is very basic and inexpensive or at a moderate or more expensive accommodation - all can have the same sightings or not.

In the end, depending on your needs and budget, it's your decision to make.

Old Jul 19th, 2004, 07:15 AM
Original Poster

Sandi - Thanks a lot for the message. A lot of what you say makes absolute sense. I guess I was wondering whether the location of Chobe Chilwero would be more advantageous than the Marina Lodge.
Old Jul 19th, 2004, 07:22 AM
sandi

marc1 - If the Marine Lodge is the one I think it is, they're about 15-minutes from one another, and safari will cover the same areas. Either inside Chobe or boats along the river - that's about it!

Old Jul 19th, 2004, 02:36 PM

We stayed at Chobe Game Lodge in Aug. of 2001; I understood this was a pretty old lodge (that Eliz Taylor married Burton here years ago). I think it was close to Kasane. As a lodge, compared to others we stayed in, it was kind of "plain vanilla" -- but it was the only place in Africa we saw lions!!