Request feedback of Tanzania Itinerary

Mar 3rd, 2005, 10:03 PM
Original Poster

Request feedback of Tanzania Itinerary

We’ve planned a trip to Tanzania for late June/early July of this year, using Africa Adventure Company as our tour operator. We originally had an itinerary planned out, however AAC said they couldn’t get it all worked out because most of the properties we wanted to stay in were completely booked in July/August. We revised the timeframe, the order of visitation and the properties. I was happy with our trip until I read a lot of the postings here which raised several red flags in my mind. Perhaps if I post my itinerary and some of my concerns, someone might give me some feedback?

Day 1 & 2 Fly into Nairobi -- Karen Blixen Coffee Garden & Cottages (once we recover from jetlag, is there anything close by to see on Day 2)?
Day 3 Fly into Kilimanjaro -- Arusha Coffee Lodge. Not too sure what to do with ourselves, but we couldn’t seem to catch a flight on to Serengeti this day. Any ideas?
Day 4 & 5 Fly to Serengeti -- Migration Camp (arrive in time for lunch). Looks like this is a little off the beaten path, which I like. But, I read postings that this camp was in the process of being refurbished? and, additionally, was severely damaged by fire? Anybody have any updates?
Day 6 & 7 Mobile Tent Camp in the Serengeti (really looking forward to this!)
Day 8 Mbuzi Mawe Tented Camp in the Serengeti. We are staying here so we can do a balloon ride in the morning. Does anyone know about this camp? I wasn’t able to find out much about it.
Day 9 & 10 Ngorongoro Crater -- Ngorongoro Sopa Lodge. In some postings I read you were limited to 1/2 day drives into the crater. Yet my itinerary clearly states a morning and afternoon drive into the crater on Day 10. Does anyone have any clarification of this? Any comments about this lodge? Besides the crater and Olduvai Gorge, is there anything else that is a “must see”? We were warned off of visiting Engaruka...
Day 11 Gibbs Farm. I hear the food is fabulous.
Day 12 & 13 Tarangire National Park -- Tarangire Treetops. I was thinking this was going to be one of the nicer properties we were going to stay at until I read in a posting here that it was under new management and that people were not happy with management as well as the facilities. Any current word on this?
Day 14 Arusha --Mountain Village. We are staying here so we can catch a morning flight tomorrow. Again, another day to fill in. Any ideas on possible sights to see?
Day 15, 16, & 17 Fly to Mahale Mountain Park --Flycatchers Tented Camp. We are very excited about this part of the trip, we just wish it could have been longer. We don’t know much about Flycatchers, so if anyone knows anything about them we would appreciate hearing about it. We weren’t able to get into Greystoke, which was the BIGGEST reason our whole trip was turned upside down.
Day 18, 19, 20 & 21 Fly to Arusha and drive to Mt Kilimanjaro -- Ndarakwai Ranch. I think this place has a lot of variety in the things to see and do. But I would love to hear from anyone who has experienced this property!
Day 22 Drive to Arusha -- Mountain Village. This is our last night in Tanzania. We are hoping to do a little shopping around Arusha. Does anyone have any guidance in this direction?
Day 23 Fly to Nairobi and then home......is it really over already?

Well, there it is. Any comments or suggestions would be very much appreciated!

Search this Thread