Reporter ISO Botswana Travelers

Aug 2nd, 2005, 11:38 AM
Original Poster

Reporter ISO Botswana Travelers

Hello,

I am working on a travel story and am looking for experienced travelers who have been there (and ideally other parts of Africa as well). I'm trying to gather opinions on the question of whether the premiums charged in Botswana are worth the additional cost.

This is far afield, but I'd love to find people who've also been to Bhutan as well, as that also commands a premium. Interested parties can e-mail me at [email protected]

Many thanks!
Aug 2nd, 2005, 12:32 PM

An interesting question, but please tell us a bit more about your project/article. Where will it be published/ who commisioned the story? Why the strange email address for a reporter? Are you freelancing? What comparisons are you trying to make?
And if you are doing a story, don't Botswana's travel statistics and revenues rather speak for themselves?
Aug 2nd, 2005, 01:21 PM
Original Poster

Apologies for the anonymity, which I use to keep from alerting the competition. I've often learned about what rival publications are doing by stumbling across other reporters' posts! I'm happy to provide my identity to any individuals who ping me off the board.

I am not a freelancer - I am on staff at a big media outlet. And while statistics are important, I'm also looking for anectodes to illustrate a trend.

I'm focusing on Bhutan and Botswana because both countries have implemented strategies that reduce the number of travelers but keep the revenues-per-traveler relatively high.

Aug 2nd, 2005, 02:20 PM

I haven't been to Bhutan but have been twice to Botswana, twice to Namibia, once to South Africa, once to Tanzania and twiec to Kenya.

You may or may not also be interested in drawing parallels to Galapagos Islands tourism which also has limits on tourist numbers.

If you'd like to discuss anything with me, please email.

(Hey I figure, if you're the reporter, you can chase the contacts, right? )
Aug 2nd, 2005, 03:22 PM

You'd better hurray -- someone on Lonely Planet's Thorn Tree has the exact same story idea.

I've been to Botswana but not Bhutan (been to Nepal, but its not a premium destination).
Aug 2nd, 2005, 07:04 PM

I'm open at [email protected]

Search this Thread