Renting a car in Israel

Jun 19th, 2013, 12:16 PM
Original Poster

Renting a car in Israel

What's the best way to rent a car in Israel? We're flying into Tel Aviv in October, using the car for 10 days and plan to drop it off in Jerusalem on a Friday before the start of Sabbath. Is one company better than the next? I'm assuming airport pickup is the way to go?
Jun 19th, 2013, 10:41 PM

Pick up the car at the airport only if you are planning to drive to the north or south immediately; if you are planning to spend your first days in Tel Aviv then pick up the car only when you leave the city.

Check prices and book only directly through the company's Israeli web sites, not their international sites or third party agents.

Get maximum insurance.

I can't give you personal recommendations, but Eldan appears to get the most positive reviews on the various travel forums; Shlomo-Sixt and Budget get the most negative ones.
Jun 20th, 2013, 08:03 PM

I've rented cars in Israel 3x. We've picked up and dropped off the cars at the airport, then gone on to Tel Aviv or Jerusalem. For many years now we have rented cars only through Auto Europe and have found them to be very reliable and found us the best rates. I do suggest taking out insurance with the rental company. It is usually cheaper to rent via auto europe as they are a consolidator and work with various companies. Check out there web site.

You don't need a car in either Jerusalem or Tel Aviv. It is great with a car. We have driven from the Golan to Eilat at our own pace and it is a great drive. We did this over theree visits so that we could enjoy the sights. Enjoy your trip.

Search this Thread