Search

Off road Serengeti

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7th, 2013, 04:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Off road Serengeti

I always was under the assumption you are not allowed to go off road in the Serengeti. Recently I read somewhere that this is only the case in certain areas, but unable to find where.

Looking at the 'official' site in the FAQ somewhere is mentioned that "It is not allowed going off the roads within 16km of Seronera."

Anyone know if this is correct? Are you allowed to go off road anywhere else?
Old Jan 7th, 2013, 05:16 AM

It is a National Park. You are not allowed off road. Besides with the amount of game, why would you want to go off road? Can you imagine the devastation to the environment if every vehicle had cart blanche to go where they pleased?
Old Jan 7th, 2013, 05:34 AM
Original Poster

That's what I thought, but it seems to be different?

As for why you want to go off road: In my experience it is not necessary at all in the woodlands, but on the plains you get the desire to go off road quite often if you see anything lurking in the grass a few hundred meters away..

Furthermore it gives a whole other experience in comparison to driving on roads. Driving off road for hours through the NCAA to reach piyaya region was awesome and made us feel even more remote and disconnected from the 'real world' .

as for damage; I hear what you say, but I think on the plains this hardly is a problem since the are is SOOOO big the cars will take a different path every time giving nature enough ability to recover
Old Jan 7th, 2013, 07:50 AM

No off-roading in the Serengeti - south, central, west or north. Will a driver go a few ft off the set roadways (if you can call them 'roads'), that's about it and still hope no rangers in the area to ticket/report them.

There is off=roading permitted at the Ndutu area, though of late with all the rain they're having, even if drivers can find the roads... it's now not permitted.
Old Jan 7th, 2013, 07:57 AM
Original Poster

Ok thanks sandi. Think it's weird that they state different on their own website.
On my previous trips the drivers indeed didn't want to go off road.

Of course they did in Ndutu area, but then thats NCAA isn't it?

Which brings up another question for me; can you go into the NCAA if you want/need because lets say the migration happens to be on NCAA side?
We've been told we had to pay for NCAA in advance (cause they work with some kind of smart card apparently nowedays), so does this mean no last minute decissions to go into NCAA (via a gate and pay the fees) ?
Old Jan 7th, 2013, 08:44 AM

Hi Nikao
Off road is prohibited in all Tanzanian np
If you drive from Ndutu to Nabi Hill you can have more then 20 differents track running allong and crossing each others... it does have an impact...
I have to admit that the tentation to drive closer to the chetah that you have spoted one hundred meter away from the road can be a strong one...
In place like Ruaha some game rangers are verry strict about it and wont allow driving in what look like well use tracks, probably made by the locals guides...
I can be a bit confusing... maybe Tanap should close these loops with rocks or woods trunks...
Old Jan 7th, 2013, 11:18 AM

I think the TANAPA website is correct. There are parts of the Serengeti where you can go offroad. I've been told that by conscientious guides and also see that on the websites of camps in the northern Serengeti. In the south, you can also go offroad in certain areas. Nikao, given that you're doing a self-drive, though, you'd want to check on that when you enter the park. Because you're not an experienced guide, they may want you to stay on the roads.
Old Jan 7th, 2013, 02:43 PM

Maybe?
Go to TZ park fees -
http://www.tanzaniaparks.com/parkfee..._New_Dec11.pdf
2nd page in English, part S Filming Fees
My understanding (never tried it) is that the filming fee/permit allows you off-roading.
Is it worth it? Will it require a few "extra" $$$ on the counter for "approval"?

regards - tom