Rental car crossing borders

Jun 29th, 2005, 08:08 AM
Original Poster

Rental car crossing borders

We will be renting a car in Tel Aviv and would like to drive down to Petra. I have been told that one cannot drive a car rented in Israel across the border at Jerico to Jordan. Is this true?
If we can cross the border, how difficult is it to get visas? Should we do this in the states before we leave?
Jun 29th, 2005, 08:35 AM
sandi

I believe that is the case. Cars cannot be driven from one country to the other. You can arrange for a day-tour (or two or three-days) to Petra and surrounding area from Jerusalem and/or from Eilat while in Israel (or prior departing the US). There may be tours from Tel Aviv, but it's a longer trip.

As to Visas, it's easier to obtain a visa for Jordan if crossing at the Arava/Eilat border in the south. If across the Allenby Bridge, probably best to obtain the visa in the US. Unless the Jordanian offices has moved, they are located at the UN plaza in NYC.

Jun 29th, 2005, 12:18 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Sandi, I appreciate the info.
Jun 30th, 2005, 07:01 AM

Though I've never crossed the border into Jordan, what I know is --- don't cross at the Allenby Bridge... The bridge is the one major crossing between Israel (and the Palestinian Authority) and Jordan, it's very busy, the facility is old and ugly and because of security checks it's very very slow.

The Arava crossing is mostly for tourists, it's modern, and should be MUCH more efficient and fast.

Search this Thread