Rental 4WD Drvie Kenya to Tanzania

Jul 6th, 2004, 05:44 PM
Original Poster

Rental 4WD Drvie Kenya to Tanzania

I'm planning to rent a 4wd drive in Kenya, crossing into the Serengeti National Park, and proceeding east to Tsavo West National Park. Will crossing the borders generate any particular difficulty with the rental car agency?
Jul 7th, 2004, 03:49 AM
sandi

Check all specifics with the rental agency. They should be able to advise what if any procedures have to/can be done at border crossings, if they can at all. You might even be restricted as to where you can drive in your vehicle.

But may I ask, why are you driving on your own thru National Parks? Will you have a two-way radio and petrol (there are no gas stations or 7/11s in the Serengeti), water, food, blankets, etc. Spare tires, jacks, extra insurance coverage for damage to the vehicle! Where will you staying overnights? Individuals have to be off National Park lands at sunset, no sleeping in the vehicle or approved camp sites. We've seen a number of vehicles (of local people) stopped in the middle of nowhere (both Serengeti and Amboseli) without petrol or the ability to contact anyone for help. I pressume you realize you are not in a zoo, but rather surrounded by wild animals.

Jul 8th, 2004, 03:11 AM

Ditto to all Sandi says. And the border between Serenget and Masai Mara is closed so you'll have to go back out of the Mara and cross through the Namanga border post.

Search this Thread