Rent a Car or Hire a Driver

Feb 2nd, 2004, 07:14 AM
Ben
Original Poster

Rent a Car or Hire a Driver

We are considering traveling in Morocco with our children in December for about 2 weeks. I've read that renting a car and driving ourselves is quite feasible, but that parking in cities can be a hassle. I'd appreciate any thoughts on driving ourselves vs. hiring a car and drivier, especially regarding costs and recommendations and whether driving through the Atlas Mountains in December should affect the decision. I am also considering taking public transportation to the larger cities (Marrakesh and Fez) and then renting a car or hiring a car and driver to head into the mountains and desert areas. Thanks for any suggestions.
Feb 10th, 2004, 05:05 AM

Hi Ben; we are just about to set off for Marrakech and I have booked a self drive car for one week. I will let you know how we got on when we return (23rd February) if you EMail me with your address. My address [email protected]
Feb 16th, 2004, 07:17 AM
car

Ben
I have been several times to Morrocco by car, and it is easy to move around specialy outside of big towns.
Parking in cities is not really complicated, Must hotels will have their own parking lot.
And when visiting sites there are always people ready to help, wachting your car.Just tell one of them you will tip him when you come back if your car is still there.
When you go back they will be there and you will tip one and the others will complain. But it is the way it goes.
Roads across the Grand Atlas are steep and need careful driving. I feel better doing it myself than with a unknown driver.
If there is snow alert, which happens seldom but it does happen then don't go
with or without driver.
If you want to expirience out of paved roads, the Erfoud area is beautiful.
I went there two years ago for new years eve in the desert and it was a great expirience.For this particular area you will need a guide outside of town. There is a nice off road trip to the Great Dune of Merzouga.
The road from Erfoud to Zagora is paved and goes via the oasis towns.
If you rent a car make sure you are able to change a flat tire.

Feb 18th, 2004, 12:33 PM
Ben
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your replies.

Search this Thread