Removing shoes at mosques

Aug 2nd, 2000, 09:24 AM
Linda

Removing shoes at mosques

I read in one post (I can't find it now) that you are allowed to carry your shoes with you. The last time I was in a situation where shoes were removed was to use special boots to walk on the glaciers in Alaska. When we returned, one gentlemen's shoes had disappeared. How are the removed shoes secured?

Also do people walk barefoot? Are the floors dirty? I have a skin disease and I usually wear socks. Would it be acceptable to wear lightweight slippers over the socks? I don't want to offend, but going barefoot really isn't an option with me.

Aug 3rd, 2000, 09:34 AM
michele

Linda,
You can wear socks. In the mosques I have visited in Turkey, Lebanon, and Syria the ONLY part of the mosque where no shoes were allowed is the main prayer room. If you really don't want to take your shoes off, most of the time you can glance in, however I have never had my shoes stolen nor have I seen anyone wear slippers. Removed shoes were secured by just leaving them outside the prayer room or in some cases in a cubby-hole outside that area.Some people in some mosques carried their shoes. Mosques are pretty relaxed places. I wouldn't worry about lsoing your shoes.
Petty theft is not a problem in the above countries.

Aug 6th, 2000, 10:30 AM
M&J

Linda--we have a Turksih friend who lives in Istanbul and I send him your question---here is his response

At the entrance of the Blue mosque you do not leave your shoes at the gate but carry them with you. Reason being is that you leave from a different gate anyway, so you do not come back.

In other mosques, you simply leave them at the gate.
The probability that they can be stolen is very very low but yea possible.
If you are very conscious then get a back with you and put your shoes in them when entering the mosque.

Barefoot...Just have socks on.. )

Aug 6th, 2000, 11:33 AM
Louise

Putting my shoes back on leaving the Blue Mosque in Istanbul is where I had everything stolen out of my purse. I know, I was very foolish but it was our last day on a tour and we were feeling over-confident. I knew how it happened immediately afterwards. There were two people working together and one (a man) distracted me by bending over in front of me so I couldn't move and the other (a woman) was in back of me unzipping my purse. This happened even tho' my husband, his sister and her husband were directly behind me also. Very talented at what they do. It sure won't happen again!!

Search this Thread