remedy for mummys tummy?

Old Mar 29th, 2001, 04:36 PM
chelsea

remedy for mummys tummy?

So far I've read about lemonade, pepto bismol tablets, apple cider vinagar tablets, immodium and the magic red pills. Okay, I'll put lemonade in the bottled water, get up every morning and take a few pepto bismol pills, then take the vinagar pill before I go into the dining room for a meal. off to the waiting bus and a magic red pill from the tour guide, then another vinagar pill, and etc etc etc. HELP what should I take and in what combination. I've traveled in Mexico,Turkey, China, and Europe and NEVER got sick, but these postings are really making me a little frightened. Food is not that important but one must feed the starving traveler at some point in the trip.
Any medical peole out there with some good old fashioned advice? Thanks

Old Mar 29th, 2001, 04:50 PM
Al

Let's talk about your "problem" from a different perspective. First, wash your hands at every opportunity. Second, do not put your fingers into your mouth or your eyes. Third, drink plenty (and I mean PLENTY) of bottle water. Fourth, avoid ice cubes no matter how many persons guarantee you that the cubes have been made from purified water. Just DON'T. Fifth, avoid salads. Eat only fruit that you can peel. Sixth, avoid spicey foods where possible. Seventh, avoid milk and milk products. Eighth, know the difference between simple travelers' diarrhea and something more serious (watch for blood in your stools, for example). Start treatment immediately.
Have your physician give you a prescription for a drug called cipro. It works but should be "front-loaded" -- that is, take a double dose to start and follow directions exactly. Keep yourself hydrated -- that is, again drink plenty of water. Do not drink fruit juice that may have had tap water added to cheapen the product. Do not drink alcohol in any form, including beer. Just pure water -- that is all. Lie down and rest if the GIs hit hard. Better to lose a day's sightseeing than have a big problem from dehydration due to diarrhea. Admit it -- you are not Superman or Superwoman -- hit the sack.

Old Mar 29th, 2001, 05:15 PM
chelsea

I hear you Al!!! Remember the movie Boy in the Bubble? Maybe thats the way I should travel. My remedy list is longer than my clothing list. I think I'll just pack several jars of peanut butter and jelly. I am going to Egypt by hook or by crook and no mummys tummy will deter me. SEE I REALLY AM SUPERWOMAN!! I'm going in May but I'm a Floridian so I'm prepared for the heat in more ways than one. Thanks for your advice, Im sure I will be fine and I'll follow your advice as closely as possible.

Old Mar 30th, 2001, 05:55 AM
Gail

I am an RN, going on 10-day tour in 2 weeks with husband and kids. I also read the lemonade bit - I'd skip that because what kind of water do you think they use? The vinegar tablets have no basis in medical logic, but neither do some other things that heal diseases and I can't imagine what harm they would do. I wouldn't take any pill that I didn't know what it was (no much for the magic red pill.) Immodium works by paralyzing the intestines. Obviously, this will stop diarrhea, but it also prevents the elimination of whatever caused the problem in the first place - save it for times when finding a bathroom is and you have no other alternative. Pepto Bismol can be taken at half to one quarter dose as a preventative, starting on day one (that is what I plan to do). You can go a long way towards preventing problems by following advice in previous posts and just being smart and careful.

Old Mar 30th, 2001, 08:42 AM
buck

Just got back from Kenya and had all the same warnings. I started eating the salads on the third day and after that ate anything that was there with no problems. A few people got a little sick the first couple of days but nothing serious. Most of the warnings are over kill just to be on the safe side. If you have a normal stomach start eating a little at the time and soon you will be eating everything. I did use bottled water the whole trip and stayed away from ice cubes, other than that don't worry so much and enjoy your vacation. Buck

Old Mar 30th, 2001, 10:55 AM
CHELSEA

Hello Gail, thanks for the advise. As far as the lemonade is concerned, I plan to bring powdered mix to put into the bottled water to make the warm water palatable. If it helps my "tummy" more power to it. I used the pepto bismol tablets in Mexico. 1/2 before every meal and it worked. I also, plan to bring straws instead of drinking straight from the bottle. I guess the apple cider vinager tablets is homeopathic medicine and certainly can't hurt. Right? I still say pita bread and peanut butter will do nicely for 8 days. Thanks for your advise. Have a wonderful trip and post when you get back, will look forward to hearing about your trip.

Old Apr 4th, 2001, 05:30 PM
Sally

We were in Kenya & Tanzania in 8-99 for 4 wks-no problems for any of our group of 7-did not drink any thing with ice,only bottled water,cokes,beer,wine,
water usually cost more than beer or wine, but it is worth it! Going back for 6 wks in June 01-can't wait!!!!!

Old Apr 5th, 2001, 09:44 AM
Patricia

We didn't need any of what you mentioned. We didn't get sick at all. Just use common sense and don't eat anything sold on the street, eat no salads ANYWHERE. No ice cubes, unless you are on a boat or in a 1st class hotel that assures you they use bottled water for ice cubes. Our cruise line had a notice posted saying that and they assured me that was true. I had Pepsi's with ice cubes at least 3 times, and ate, ate, ate. Never got sick. You don't eat anything that isn't cooked that could have been exposed to those germs. I even brushed my teeth with the tap water several times (in 5 star hotels). Of course, I didn't swallow any, but then I never do.

By the way, lemonade won't stop mummy tummy. It's simply supposed to make the bottled water taste better. I never drink water and definitely not bottled water, but the bottled water tasted fine to me.

Old Apr 25th, 2001, 09:52 AM
ron

Make sure in restaurants that the bottled water is sealed when delivered. If you get the Pharoahs Revenge, Fasygin will put the cork in and kill the parasites upsetting your stomach.

Old Apr 27th, 2001, 03:25 PM
james

Quit the local food, starve yourself for a couple of days and you'll be fine.... American is actually the worst - you're just used to it..........

Old May 7th, 2001, 07:51 PM
Dave

I was just in Egypt and met an English pharmasist who got Mummy's tummy. He traveled with a bag of medicines. He went downstairs and had a Turkish coffee with cardoman. Then he got a couple lemons and drank the juice. The next day he was fine. I was sick the next day, and followed his suggestion, and it seemed to work. And I have very little faith in folk type remedies, but I can't argue with the results.