Reduced Airfare to South Africa

Jul 31st, 2003, 04:35 AM
LizFrazier

Reduced Airfare to South Africa

I just got an email from www.2afrika.com yesterday about a really great airfare sale starting tomorrow. Round trip U.S., under $900. You can go to that website and click on great airfares, and see if they fit your schedule.
If I didn't have 2 trips already planned and ticketed, believe me it would be Botswana here I come. Thats the message.

P.S. Just to set the record straight for some here. I do not work as a travel agent, not inside sales, not outside sales, or upside down sales. I am an older lady who has visited Africa a number of times. When I first started going there were no web sites. There was no internet! If I can pass on helpful information, not direct from a tour book, that will help an excited traveller realize the wonders of Africa, I will be happy. Once you are bitten by the Africa bug, something in you changes and you are forever changed. Hard to believe isn't it? Liz

Jul 31st, 2003, 05:46 AM

I believe you Liz
I got the same e-mail yesterday.
If I wasn't flying first class* ..... to Johannesburg,

*Ok, so I did buy it with miles.
Jul 31st, 2003, 07:41 AM
LizFrazier

AA-
I know how you feel. Ours in Sept is free but its coach. I do envy you. We had thought of using Cathay Pacific in order to go first, but we have no reason to go to Hong Kong, maybe I told you that before. Too bad they are changing the rules to where all of the partners are the same amount of miles.

Isn't Ken just fabulous, those rates, we don't like group safaris but I think someone here had him do a private safari too. It just gives so many a better opportunity than I ever had. Now that he is doing South Africa, watch the rates change. I think its people like him that make the others become aware that it is a very good market with lots of customers.

When you get info like that if you post it here, there are a lot of folks not on his email list that don't post, so you help people you never hear from. Liz

Jul 31st, 2003, 08:20 AM

Liz,
That's the award that I'm using. Today is the last day to ticket it. After today the first class award becomes a 200K mile award on BA or Swiss, or if one wants to go through Hong Kong, then it will be 235K miles. What a difference, I 'paid' 140K. Anyway, Ken is working on a 11 day safari for me, but I have not heard from him yet. I don't think he had the 2004 prices yet, so he has to call around. Judging from past posts about him and his company, I do trust I will not be disappointed.
Have a great day!
Jul 31st, 2003, 09:39 AM
LizFrazier

AA-
Please post here as you do this. New people need to be brought aware of things like this and I seem to be the only one continually reminding everyone. I haven't used them but he wasn't going into Botswana/Namibia when I went before. Post where you will stay and for how long, etc. Liz

Jul 31st, 2003, 11:32 AM
sandi

Just got prices for Early Fall and Winter from Premier Tours (the consolidator I've used for my trips to Africa):

ATL or JFK to JNB or CPT for $849 + tax.

Travel from Sept 1 - Nov 30, 2003 and
Jan 15 - Mar 15, 2004

Must book by August 18 - new bookings only

Call: 800-545-1910 ask for Paula, Margo, David or Carmella

Jul 31st, 2003, 12:16 PM
LizFrazier

So now you guys have 2 opportunities, no excuses. Except that they are the same rates and dates. We want trip reports! Talk to anyone on the one I mentioned. Ken owns it but whoever answers can take your info, etc.
2Afrika is going to call them all in first thing tomorrow, so if a particular date is important, register it now.
Drat! I want to go too. Wish they would extend it to May 2004. Thats when I want to go to Botswana and Namibia.

Jul 31st, 2003, 01:30 PM

I received that same info from Premier, and boy does it start me dreaming!

When does "low season" for hotel prices in South Africa start? Is it April 15? May 1?

And when are the school holidays over? Mid-January? I want to wait till the vacationing hordes are all back in school.

Sheesh! I've only been home from Africa for two months and already I'm planning the next trip.
Jul 31st, 2003, 02:12 PM
LizFrazier

I know the feeling. The green season lasts until June. It is summer in South Africa and lots of rain and terrific thunderstorms I hear. Green season is the time they run lots of specials. I haven't noticed that school breaks affect you much out in the game reserves. Actually low season coincides pretty much with the effective dates of travel. It breaks for Christmas which is busy just because its Christmas and then picks up again in January. I am surprised they don't continue the sale for longer because the low season continues longer. Oh well. Isn't it a wonderful opportunity? Liz

Aug 1st, 2003, 08:00 AM
sandi

Celia -

I got the same feeling when I saw the prices from Premier - these are the lowest they've had in a number of years. And they offer low prices this time of the year every year that I've done business with them.

They have a deal with Air Botswana but not with Air Namibia (or is the other way around) for low prices to these destinations. But I have found good prices for something like JNB/MAUN/WDH/JNB through Cheap Tickets if Premier or 2afrika can't get what you want. There are lots of resources.

Well, it looks like I might just have to wait till 2004 for my trip to Namibia, unless a "friend" finds these prices too good to miss and we just go and wherever the Land Rover takes us we have an adventure before us.

It sure is tempting!

Aug 1st, 2003, 10:57 AM

I just saved $800!!!!

SAS was quoting me $1825 round trip from Chicago through Atlanta.

I called my corporate travel that gives us discounts - they priced me at $1250

I called 2 Afrika and I am going round trip through JFK for $985 incl tax and I am using milage to get me from Chi-town to JFK!!! Call Kenneth! 877.800.5610 x201

I am doing the happy dance!!!

Sandi - Pulse Africa is taking excellent care of me. I am looking over the final itinerary this weekend and finalizing things on Monday! I've decided on Namibia!

This means that I am REALLY GOING!! woo hoo!!!!! I am so excited!!!

Kim

P.S. did I mention that I'm excited!!! (on top of being a spazz!!)
Aug 1st, 2003, 11:21 AM

FANTASTIC fare! I'm joining in your happy dance to congratulate you!

Aug 1st, 2003, 01:29 PM
sandi

Kim -

I'm so glad that it has come together. And by chance your timing in just right with the low airfare.

You know if there are questions before you leave, there are lots of us here to help. And, of course, you'll have to report back after your trip.

You go girl!!!

Aug 2nd, 2003, 06:10 AM
LizFrazier

Your post is why I come here time and again. Thank you for sharing the real excitement I felt when I first went to Africa. This is what most of us like to see.
Now just tell us where and when and I will mark my calendar to watch for your trip report. I want a lot of details, from your eyes as you see it. Yea, Kim!!!!! Liz

Aug 4th, 2003, 08:40 PM

Hey gang,

My wife and I just booked on the Iberia website. Chicago to Johannesburg for a total with tax of just under $1,500 for the both of us! Very limited availability on November and December dates, so HURRY!!!! Outbound stop in Madrid consists of a day latover with a Jo'burg flight that leaves at 12:30 AM.

Good luck!

Ben & Judy
Aug 5th, 2003, 04:50 AM
LizFrazier

Thanks for posting. That sounds like a fantastic deal. I've never flown Iberia, in fact I've never heard of it, but if it gets you that kind of deal, go and have a ball. What routing is it and how long is the flight? Liz

Aug 5th, 2003, 07:05 AM

Hi Liz,

The routing is Chicago to Madrid to Jo'burg. Also available from several other major US cities. The catch is that there is a 15 hour layover in Madrid. But, if you can sleep on the plane, you have all day to see the Spanish capital.

Ben
Aug 5th, 2003, 07:25 AM
LizFrazier

Thats not so bad if you get to take a tour enroute. You just have to weigh all of those things to see if it works for you. When you save THAT much on airfare, I think I'd put up with a little inconvenience too.

Search this Thread