Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Red Sea snorkelling - best resort / reef for beginners? (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/red-sea-snorkelling-best-resort-reef-for-beginners-885282/)

martin1974 Apr 5th, 2011 04:12 AM

Red Sea snorkelling - best resort / reef for beginners?

We're looking to go back to the Red Sea at the end of this year mainly for snorkelling. We've done it a couple of times (Sharm a few years back and just back from a week at Vilamendhoo in the Maldives, where Becky finally got as enthused about snorkelling as I am - Vila has an excellent house reef literally meters from the beach), but neither of us are especially strong swimmers, nor that experienced snorkellers.

So...where should we go for easy access to good reefs without strong currents. Sharm seems to get most of the plaudits, but we couldn't stand either the Russians or the pushy locals last time, so would like a more 'chilled' resort if possible - so far Dahab seems the only real alternative.

Don't want to spend a fortune, but are prepared to pay more than Sharm rates to get somewhere nice.

Thanks,

Martin & Becs

MyriamC Apr 5th, 2011 12:59 PM

If you don't want any Russians and still want to go to Egypt, go to Marsa Alam. Russian planes are not allowed to land on the (private) airport. Marsa Alam / El Quseir is around 200 km south of Sharm, it's far less touristy than Sharm and the snorkeling / diving is fabulous.

Grcxx3 Apr 5th, 2011 06:29 PM

Just note - Marsa Alam/El Quseir is on the Egyptian mainland, not the Sinai Penninsula.

So, while you're on that "side" of the Red Sea - check out El Gouna. It's about 30 minutes north of Hurghada (which has an airport) and is lovely. Beaches are nice (not great) but you can easily go out for snorkling or get someone to take you out in a boat. We loved the Movenpick in El Gouna, but there are several hotels there.

Note - the snorkling/diving might be better in the Marsa Alam area because it's further downcoast.

MyriamC Apr 5th, 2011 10:04 PM

I have erroneously stated that Marsa Alam is 200 km south of Sharm. That should have been 'south of Hurghada', so very south on the Red Sea.
FYI El Gouna (near Hurghada, so 200 km back north) is pretty and has some good hotels but there's no snorkeling unless you go by boat. It's an artificial village with artificial beaches and no reefs at all (the reefs have been used to build the village on, just as in Tala Bay, Jordan).
Snorkeling / scuba diving on a house reef is the best there is!

Casual_Cairo Apr 6th, 2011 12:36 AM

Marsa Alam is relatively new and unspoiled, so I hear. You are miles away from EVERYTHING, so go for the snorkeling and local ambiance provided at your hotel, if you choose to go there. I'm sure it will be nice.

MyriamC Apr 6th, 2011 03:48 AM

Yes, in Marsa Alam you are miles away from everything. It's nowhere like Sharm / Naama Bay. There is also a lot of construction going on. Many, many hotels are being built. But the snorkeling/diving is (still) good and that's why people go there. The marina of Port Ghalib should be 'up and running'. It was still in the construction phase when we were in Marsa two (or is it three?) years ago.

martin1974 Apr 6th, 2011 04:47 AM

Thanks all - will give Marsa Alam a look then...would also give me an opportunity to get us a day-trip to Luxor! :D

martin1974 Apr 6th, 2011 04:47 AM

Thanks all - will give Marsa Alam a look then...would also give me an opportunity to get us a day-trip to Luxor! :D