Recommended Camera For Trip???

Feb 24th, 2002, 03:39 PM
Rocco

Recommended Camera For Trip???

12 days and counting until I leave for South Africa! I will be in Joburg for a single night, Singita Private Game Reserve for two nights, Capetown (Table Bay Hotel) for 4 nights, Victoria Falls (Matetsi Game Lodge) for three nights, back to Capetown (Mount Nelson Hotel) for two nights and my final two nights in the Cape Winelands (Paarl at the Grande Roche Hotel). Does anybody have any recommendations or opinions on a good camera. I am considering a Canon Powershot Pro 90IS with a 10X optical zoom. However, this camera only has 2.6 million megapixel. Would I be better off with a camera with a lot of zooming power such as this one or would I be better off with a camera with better definition (higher magapixel) with less of a zoom? I want to be able to take some nice pictures of the Big 5 wildlife, Victoria Falls, Table Mountain, etc., but admittedly, I am mostly clueless with cameras so I don't know if even a $850 digital camera will be of much benefit. On safari, what are the photograph opportunities like??? Thanks.

Feb 25th, 2002, 04:35 AM
gail

Another problem to add to your dilemma - digital cameras have limited battery life (deal with this by buying another battery pack and recharging - but that can be troublesome, esp with your itinerary); also, check on storage of photos you take - our camera uses little memory cards - the idea is that you download the photos onto your computer. But since you probably are not bringing a laptop with you, you need to buy lots of memory (which has gotten amazingly cheap in the year since we dealt with this, but you still
need to buy them).

Mar 6th, 2002, 04:17 PM
Mary

Rocco,
Please let us know how your trip is when you get back! You are going to a lot of the same places that we are going in August so I am anxious to hear! Please send another post when your back!
Enjoy!

Mar 6th, 2002, 05:19 PM
Rocco

You can count on me telling the world about this trip! For the record, I ended up getting the top of the line Sony Digital Camera. It is 5 Million+ Megapixel and has a 10X Optical Zoom. I bought an extra battery and extra memory as well. Just got my air tickets in the mail today, scheduled a limo to pick me up from home (and why not when a taxi is going to cost $55 and a limo $90???), and will now start researching my restaurant choices for the first couple nights in Capetown!

Search this Thread