Recommendations for safari in the Kruger park

Sep 15th, 2004, 12:29 PM
Original Poster

Recommendations for safari in the Kruger park

Hi

My wife and I are planning on going to South Africa around Christmas time and we are in the early planning phase now. I have been there before but I have never gotten around to doing a safari...so this time I have to do that of course How many days is "recommended"? We like to be comfortable when we are on vacation so we are looking for a place that has nice accomodation. But on the other hand I don't want it to be too expensive of course Well, I would like to hear from people that has gone on safaris, how much it cost, how long you stayed, links etc. Thanks in advance

Regards
Gard
Stavanger, Norway
http://gardkarlsen.com
Sep 15th, 2004, 01:24 PM

Gard
Your first choice is between the government run rest camps (many of which do include some rather more elegant accommodation) where you will self-drive in the park but can book specific guided activities if you wish (walks, drives etc) or private camps in the area (some are within Kruger but most are in reserves that are on Kruger's border but are not separated from it by fences. These offer anything from comfortable to seriously luxurious accommodation, inclusive meals, all activities. The government rest camps are very well priced but require self-catering (though many camps have restaurants). They also require some willingness to really participate and be active in finding the animals, identifying them, learning them. Some people don't like that - we loved it. Private camps have fewer visitors and generally offer excellent gaming as guides know how to track and find the animals. Good guides can really teach you so much. We love that too.

Search this Thread