Recommendations for a travellor to Tanzania

May 2nd, 1999, 07:48 AM
Therese

Recommendations for a travellor to Tanzania

Hi,
I am going to Tanzania this summer and will stay there for two months. I will most probably visit Zanzibar and hopefully find a great safari tour. If anyone can give me some helpful information on what to see and what not to, great safaris and how to find them and what would be essential to bring, I'd appreciate it. I would also like to know how to best get to Ngogoro crater and to Arusha from Dar es. I will visit Tanzania because I am doing a study on Human Rights, so if anyone knows or got in touch with citizens of Tanzania that could help me out so I could get a clear picture of the situation that would also be of interest.
Thanks!
Therese

May 3rd, 1999, 12:51 PM
April

I booked my safari from home so I can't help you there. Do go to Zanzibar and I recommend the Serengeti and the Ngorongoro Crater. It can get surprisingly cold at the top of the crater and in other areas, so take something warm (although I went in the fall). I was also glad that I put my clothes in zip lock bags which kept them dust free on safari...at least until worn. Navy is a good dirt-hiding colour - forget white on safari. I found everywhere in Tanzania fascinating, from Lake Manyara to Olduvai Gorge to the cave paintings. If I had to pick areas that were a little less interesting, I'd have to pick Dar, a park near Arusha, and Dodoma. Bagamoyo (sp?) seemed to have an eerie air about it, but was worth visiting none-the-less. Generally I felt the northern part was friendliest and I personally enjoyed the Masai people most of all. Oh, take some shoes you can wear in water for either trekking through streams or walking along some beaches. I envy you.

May 5th, 1999, 04:01 PM
Bly

Therese: We were in Tanzania last month and booked through a company called Hoopoe Tours - they have an office in Arusha and in London - They're listed in most guide books. I believe you can get transport via bus or drive from Dar to Arusha, then hook up with your safari company there to take you into Ngorongoro. We did a few days in the Serengeti and 1 nt/2 days in Ngorongoro. If I had to do over, I'dhave a couple more days at the crater. We stayed at the Ngorongoro Crater Lodge - most beautiful, incredible, luxurious, bizarre lodging ever. You have to be there to understand. Don't forget Antibacterial wetwipes, bandana, pepto bismol and lots of film !!! b

May 5th, 1999, 06:08 PM
April

The last posting reminded me of something. Maybe it goes without saying, but to countries like that I take a couple of medical needles just in case I have to get a shot while there.

Search this Thread