Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Recently returned from vacation to Israel and Jordan ... (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/recently-returned-from-vacation-to-israel-and-jordan-571225/)

happywanderer Nov 16th, 2005 03:32 AM

Recently returned from vacation to Israel and Jordan ...

My wife and I visited Israel and Jordan from Oct. 24-Nov. 1.

We booked our vacation thru Three Coins Travel and our trip was just incredible.

We spent one nite in Tel Aviv, one nite in Galilee, 3 nites in Jerusalem, and 2 nites in Amman.

Obviously, we are thankful that we returned before the bombings in Amman.

This being said, if someone has even the inkling about going to Israel, GO! It is just an incredible experience to say the least.

I have details about our trip in a travelog. If you are interested, please email me directly at [email protected]. It is about 26 pages long.

A special thank you to other Fodorites who were helpful with their tips about this area of the world.

Happy trails to all!!

FainaAgain Nov 17th, 2005 10:46 AM

I'm going to Israel in March. So far my head is spinning: trips, flights, time difference, meeting friends, how long, hotel list, Purim, anticipation :)

I will send you an e-mail with the request to read the Israeli part of your trip. [email protected]

sandy_b Nov 17th, 2005 04:09 PM

I just finished reading happywanderer's report and it was very good and very touching . . . what a great experience/trip he/Mrs. HW had.

Thank you so much for sharing it with me.

FainaAgain . . . we're considering Israel for March also . . . might see you there!

Happy travels,
Sandy (in Denton)

happywanderer Nov 18th, 2005 04:05 AM

Thx for the kind words, Sandy .. Faina, I will be sending you the travelog shortly.

FainaAgain Nov 18th, 2005 08:01 AM

Thank you, Wanderer!

Sandy: I'm thinking of adding 2 days just to meet friends. We can work on a get-together! My e-mail is below, and usually when I go anywhere I post a get-together thread. Hardly ever works, but I'm still doing it :)

FainaAgain Nov 18th, 2005 08:21 AM

Wanderer, printed you file - all 26 pages! I'll be busy (reading) this weekend :)

FainaAgain Nov 21st, 2005 10:46 AM

Wanderer, I read your report! Hope your wife is feeling better now.

Please thank her for the valuable advice to have a leak-proof bottle for water samples, LOL, I can only imagine! And being as sweet person as I am not even asking for details :)

I have a question. Going to Masada - how is that cable car? I am afraid of hights. Is it my imagination or I found somewhere that there are cars from Switzerland for up to 80 people capacity? Please tell me it is so :)

I've taken those in Switzerland, just closed my eyes imagining being on a plane. Worked for me.

happywanderer Nov 21st, 2005 11:26 AM

NO NEED TO WORRY ABOUT THE CABLE CAR. IT IS ONLY A SHORT RIDE UP TO MASADA FROM DOWN BELOW.

I STOOD UP IN FRONT OF THE CAR SO THAT I COULD VIDEO MASADA COMING TOWARD ME ... THEN ON THE WAY DOWN, I TOOK GREAT SHOTS OF THE BEAUTY OF THE DESERT AND THE DEAD SEA OFF IN THE DISTANCE!

I'VE BEEN ON CABLE CARS IN GERMANY AND SWITZERLAND AND FROM WHAT I CAN RECALL THIS RIDE IS NOT AS LONG AS THE OTHERS, TIME-WISE.

HONESTLY,IT'S NOT A BAD RIDE, UP OR DOWN. JUST ENJOY THE BEAUTY OF IT ALL. PRETTY AMAZING.

MY WIFE'S COMMENT ABOUT THE LEAK PROOF BOTTLES STEMS FROM MY USING A SMALL SAMPLE SHAMPOO BOTTLE TO GATHER SOME WATER FROM THE JORDAN AND THEN THE DEAD SEA. ONE OF THE BOTTLES JUST LEAKED A LITTLE BIT OF WATER BUT IT IS NOW SITTING PROUDLY IN OUR CONDO ON DISPLAY, DATED AND ALL THAT GOOD STUFF.

PLS SEND ME ANOTHER EMAIL AT [email protected] & I'LL EMAIL YOU A PHOTO MY WIFE TOOK GOING UP IN THE CABLE CAR!

HAVE FUN WITH YOUR PLANNING!

FainaAgain Nov 21st, 2005 12:52 PM

Sent. Thank you!

JewishManilowFan Dec 13th, 2005 11:16 PM

I am leaving for Israel in a week! I can't wait. I want to bring back some Dead Sea water to show my Pre K class how things float. Have any recommendations as to what type of leak proof container??? Did you pack it away in your suitcase? Thanks in advance.

happywanderer Dec 14th, 2005 04:00 AM

Believe it or not, all I used to hold the water from the Dead Sea was an old small shampoo bottle!! I just wanted a small sample to bring home. I did the same thing when we were at the Jordan River further north near Galilee. I used another old shampoo bottle.

You may want to check with others to see what they may use.

One of the bottles I had seemed to leak a little bit but I didn't really lose much water, if anything.

Hope this is helpful.

FainaAgain Dec 14th, 2005 11:15 AM

Yes, any old bottle should work.

Wash it. Then fill with water. Make sure it's dry on the outside, and leave upside-down overnight on a paper towel.

If in the morning the towel is dry (no wet circle around when you pick up the bottle) then it's leak-proof.

JewishManilowFan Dec 14th, 2005 12:06 PM

I guess a plain old water bottle woudld work fine, then?

Gardyloo Dec 14th, 2005 01:27 PM

Leave some space in the bottle for the air to expand when you're on the plane, otherwise it can leak.

FainaAgain Dec 14th, 2005 02:58 PM

I don't know why, but I hear from others too, we all bring back Coke bottles with Hebrew labels :)

I guess next time my Coke bottle will be filled with Dead water LOL

Mamamia Dec 15th, 2005 06:44 AM

In general, it's better to keep bottles in your hand bag which you'll carry with you to the cabin, not in yur luggage which is sent to an area in the plane where the air pressure and temperature flanctuate dramatically and may cause plastic bottles to leak, even explode...

JewishManilowFan Dec 17th, 2005 08:52 AM

LOL-what a great idea with the coke bottles. I just wish they had Pepsi in Israel! LOL If I bring the bottle on board, won't it be suspicious???