Search

recent movies -africa based

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 12:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
recent movies -africa based

Just saw the oscar winner for best foriegn film called http://imdb.com/title/tt0468565 "Tsotsi" Very good. You see the township in Jo'burg as well as the very rich of Jo-burg and the great economic divide there.

And "Duma"<http://imdb.com/title/tt0361715/> -- sweet film, take some kids, but you'll enjoy it too...

anyone else with recent africa based films?
Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 04:43 AM

"Drum" and "Hotel Rwanda" come to mind. Both excellent movies.
Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 05:26 AM
sandi

Hope to get around to see Tsotsi.

Last week, with my clients, the night before their departure to Tanzania - saw the play "Living Room in Africa" - its opening night in NYC. About a couple (not married) living in South Africa, a bit off the beaten path, close to a township. Both individuals have their own "issues" and though they feel their presence is welcomed in the community, they are a bit oblivious to what is happening around them. Paricularly the AIDs situation; their housekeeper's children dying of the disease; the wife of a best friend, etc. Quite poignent. Though a story I was not oblivious to. But should be told/seen by those who aren't.

However, everytime they poured a gin and tonic it kind of reminded me of White Mischief when the Brits were in Kenya at the turn of the 20th Century.

If it makes it to your town/city, try to attend. Ticket prices are reasonable ($25/$35).

Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 08:30 AM

"Sometimes in April" in many ways much better than "Hotel Rwanda", but both are worth seeing.

"The Constant Gardener" Kenya based.

Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 08:35 AM

HBO did a movie recently called "yesterday" about an African mother dying of AIDS trying to ensure that her daugther would get an education.

Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 09:51 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
<i>Nowhere in Africa</i> won the 2002 Oscar for best foreign language film (German) - incredibly moving (true) story of a middle class German Jewish family who fled the Nazis to live in Kenya during the war years. Go rent it asap.
Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 10:01 AM

Haven't seen &quot;Duma&quot; or &quot;Tsotsi,&quot; but I concur with all the other recs. (Gardyloo, how do you get italics on Fodor's?) The woman's performance in &quot;Yesterday&quot; was really impressive.

Also recently saw &quot;Boys of Baraka&quot;--very depressing but interesting. Funniest part of the film was when a teacher asks these inner-city Baltimore boys what they like about Kenyans and one says, &quot;The way they hear. They talk real quiet but can still hear each other.&quot;

Another doc I saw a couple of years ago is &quot;Diamonds and Rust&quot; about the crew--South Africans, Cubans and Namibians--on a diamond ship.

I'd love to hear about more Africa-based films.
Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 01:19 PM

&quot;Invisible Children&quot; documentary about the child solidiers in Uganda.
Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 04:09 PM

Red Dust about truth and reconciliation commission in SA. Very informative.
Peterman
Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 06:19 PM

There was a good movie about Kenya a few years ago with Robert Redford and Meryl Streep in it.

I forget the name of it !!
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 04:15 AM
sandi

Out of Africa!

Old Mar 24th, 2006, 05:55 AM

Can't believe it took so long for folks to mention Out of Africa!!

I plan to use the music for my slide show when I return. We also plan to rent it soon and watch it again. Also, some of the more serious ones mentioned in this thread.
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 06:43 AM

The post was about recent movies....that is why no one mentioned OofA.
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 06:53 AM

I really enjoyed this movie:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ance&amp;n=130

Although I am waiting for the comedy version where a fat American (me) trains for a few months, survives a couple marathons and then thinks he can actually finish Comrades. We are talking about someone who was being prodded along in his last marathon (Chile, December 2002) by the ambulance, which is, I guess like a vulture, looking for the dying or dead!

I did pass a couple Chileans finally, and gave them quite the tongue lashing for allowing a fat American, who outweighed them by 100 pounds, to defeat them, although I don't think they quite understood what I was saying!
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 07:03 AM

This one is not that recent, but it's one I love watching over and over again.......

&quot;The Ghost and the Darkness&quot;. It is based on the &quot;Man-eaters of Tsavo&quot; and the name of the film is in relation to the names given to the 2 male lions by the Maasai.

It is based on a true story about the construction of a railroad bridge and stars Val Kilmer and Michael Douglas.

Although it is meant to be set in Tsavo , it was actually filmed in South Africa.
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 08:09 AM

Ooh, yes, The Ghost and the Darkness! My dreamboat Michael Douglas, and Africa, all in one beautiful feast for the eyes!

I can't wait to see Tsotsi. On our recent flight from Jo'burg to London, the flight attendants announced that the stars of Tsotsi were on our plane. We didn't see them, but everyone applauded.
Old Apr 23rd, 2006, 06:37 AM

Author: mariacallas
Date: 04/23/2006, 10:27 am

KENWA- Kenya Network of Women with AIDS was featured in the recent VH1 documentary - Tracking the Monster: Ashley Judd and India.Arie confront AIDS in Africa.

I have been working to help to raise money for KENWA since Christmas. KENWA provides life-supporting services to 6951 people (mostly women with HIV/AIDS) .

KENWA promises its members that it will support their orphaned children. That is why it is supporting 1700 orphaned and vulnerable children.

KENWA's founder and executive director Ms. Asunta Wagura is known as the Mother Teresa of Nairobi for her 13 years of helping hundreds of thousands of people with AIDS in Nairobi's slums. She understands their plight; she's been HIV positive for 18 years.

Helping KENWA has been the most fulfilling work I have ever done. You will want to help them too when you see how they are helping so many people with nowhere else to turn.

Tell Asunta that Mariacallas sent you. Be prepared for one of the most heartwarming experiences of your life.

And while you're there, please give a little back for the joy you have received from Mother Africa.

And don't be surprised if you see some celebrities there doing the same thing.

Visit KENWA's website at www.kenwa.org to learn more. [email protected]
Old Apr 23rd, 2006, 07:47 AM

Just watched &quot;My Country&quot;, being an a South African, found it most moving.
It's about the truth and reconcilliation process.
Old Apr 23rd, 2006, 07:55 AM

Stay tuned for a movie called &quot;Blood Diamond&quot; coming out later this year. Stars Leondardo DiCaprio and parts filed in Mozambique.
http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Movi...eut/index.html
Old Apr 23rd, 2006, 09:17 AM

make that filmed in Mozambique, not filed

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -