reasonably priced lodge preferably Sabi Sands

Old Dec 13th, 2005, 04:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
reasonably priced lodge preferably Sabi Sands

Hi
Writing in for a friend who travels often in Asia, & is understandably shocked by high prices in South Africa!
Can you find a lovely lodge preferably in Sabi Sands that is not outrageously expensive for 2/3 nights safari in April?
Would like a place with style, lots of animals & in a beautiful location.
Thanks
Plum
PS I had a marvellous time at Phinda, Jocks, Londolozi & Royal Malewane in Sept, but he cant believe those prices!!!!
Old Dec 13th, 2005, 06:32 AM

Take a look at Elephant Plains Game Lodge, it gets great reviews and is very reasonably priced. Chitwa Chitwa is a little more but probably has a little more luxurious feel than EP. Both have the fabulous Sabi Sands wildlife experience.
Old Dec 13th, 2005, 08:01 AM

I second Elephant Plains. I have posted here several times about it. We stayed there for three nights last June and absolutely loved it. The rondovals we slept in were absolutely charming and wonderfully comfortable, the staff was fabulous, the game viewing was out of this world! Enough superlatives for you?! I have some incredible pictures taken from the door of our rondoval of a family of elephants at the watering hole. One night we heard several hyenas yipping in the distance. And we were very fortunate to see 8 different leopards, a family of three cheetah, and loads of other game. The only thing we didn't see on our game drives was a lion, but our guide had seen one the previous evening. Just couldn't find him again. your friend will not regret staying there.
Old Dec 13th, 2005, 10:47 AM

Received 17 Likes on 1 Post
Notten's Bush Camp is less expensive than some of the other lodges and it's a nice camp. I got this picture at Notten's http://www.pbase.com/cjw/image/47469492 (the picture isn't great but watching it happen sure was!).
Old Dec 13th, 2005, 11:50 AM

Check out mtbeds.co.za. They offer last minute bookings which can only be done within two weeks of your stay. For some, that tight time frame is too nerve racking, but we have used them twice (Mar '04 & Nov. '05) and had lots to choose from. We stayed at Londolozi- which was great, and Exeter Dulini- which was spectacular. Animal sightings were similar and excellent at both. My contact was [email protected]
Old Dec 13th, 2005, 01:09 PM

Hi,
We just returned from our South African safari where we stayed at Savanna Lodge in Sabi Sands. It was absolutely fabulous..... The attention to the little things, hot bath ready after our safari drives, glasses of sherry pre-dinner, lists of all our sightings, good night message and weather report, great food etc, etc. The staff went out of their way to make our stay special and were all extremely friendly. And the price was a bit more reasonable than others we had looked at..
Game drives were of course the highlight and our guide (Geran) and tracker (Lawrence) worked hard to make our experience as extensive and memorable as possible and to share their vast knowledge and experience. The animals were just simply amazing....... including the many tiny ones that we normally would not have even seen. Overall the whole experience at Savanna far exceeded our expectations and will be one we remember for a long time to come. The entire operation is run very professionally and management seem to have gone to great lengths in employing their staff to ensure that they all contribute to creating a very memorable and personal experience for their clients. You are really made to feel part of their family.