Really need help choosing a Private Game Lodge

Apr 20th, 2003, 01:59 AM
Original Poster

Really need help choosing a Private Game Lodge

I have posted a question before, concerning our honeymoon (actually it is a second honeymoon because of our wedding anniversary.) I will explain my question a bit more.
I am looking for a private game lodge between the Kruger and Hluhluwe Parks.
We love to go on safari just the both of us and that is why we will stay inside the Kruger and Hluhluwe Parks and drive ourselves.
But in between is the actual date of our wedding anniversary. For that we would like to stay in a more luxurious private game park. Since we already spend a week in Kruger we don't want to go to a private game park next to Kruger.
Unfortunately we cannot afford the Phinda lodges, since that would be our dream.
I have found other options but I can't find enough information to make a good choice.
Important for us are:
• It has to be quit luxurious, with good food.
• We don't like to just hang around and do nothing, so activities like game drives or bush walks have to be included (or at least possible)
• We like it to be not to crowded, so a small lodge, with not so much rooms.
• We don't have to see all of the Big Five in this private reserve, but like to see a little more than just zebra, gazelles, giraffes and birds.
• If there would be the chance to go on some short walks just the two of us that would be a nice extra.
• The rooms should have a lot of privacy, preferably as separate "cabins" in the bush.
I have found several options (some are also a bit above the price limit):
• Ndumo Wilderness Camp
• Mkhaya Stone Camp, Swaziland
• Reilly’s Rock Hilltop Lodge, Swaziland
• Phophonyane Lodge, Swaziland
• Leopard Mountain Game Lodge
• Mkuze Falls Private Game Reserve (tented camp)
• White Elephant Lodge
• Shayamoya Game Lodge
• UmKhaya Bush Lodge
• Rocktail Bay Lodge
• Nibala Lake Lodge
• Falaza Game Park
• Hluhluwe River Lodge
• Ubizane Wildlife Reserve
Can anyone give a review on one or more of those. Other options would be welcome too. I would appreciate it if you leave an email address so I can ask more questions if necessary. To avoid spamming we created a hotmail address so you don't have to leave an email on this site. Our hotmail address is: [email protected]

I really appreciate some help to make a good choice.

PS Does anyone know a similar site like this, beside the Lonely Planet Thorn Trees (they are not so much for upscale accommodation)
Apr 20th, 2003, 08:40 AM

This suggestion fits under the "other " category. There is a place, Cybele Forest Lodge, about an hour west of Kruger. It is not a game lodge. It is a small place that I think was once a hunting lodge or farm house situated in what is now a logging forest. There is a main house and 14 studios, or cabins. They all have their own secluded splash pools (if you really want to swim there is a pool by the main house). All units have a fireplace and the staff will light a fire upon request. The couches and beds are covered with thick duvets and nice rugs on the wooden floors. It is a great place to go with your soul mate for a couple of days in winter. The kitchen will fix you a picnic hamper if you want to wander off in the forest for lunch.

The restaurant menu was limited to a set dinner. I recall that there were three choices each evening. The food was very good and was included in the day rate on the rooms They have books and games in the lobby of the main house should you want a break from your soul mate.

One evening we had a drink in the small bar while waiting to be seated for dinner and we were offered a small snack. Still warm, deep fried round pieces of crocodile tail (about an inch in diameter) dipped in a light curry sauce. It was so good that I have in the several intervening years ordered all sorts of crocodile dinners, but none have come close. The Cybele Forest Lodge is a member of the Relais et Chateau Assn which may explain why.

Search this Thread