Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page > Re-Re-Revised Southern Africa August Itinerary for Feedback or Ridicule

Re-Re-Revised Southern Africa August Itinerary for Feedback or Ridicule

Feb 23rd, 2005, 03:53 PM
Original Poster

Re-Re-Revised Southern Africa August Itinerary for Feedback or Ridicule

One of these days we've got to get it sorted out. We would very much appreciate your comments and answers if available, please.

Day 1 (Approximately 14th August) - Arrive JNB after a long flight from Sydney. Overnight near JNB airport.

Day 2 - Fly to Victoria Falls, arriving 1pm. Transfer to hotel or lodge near town or falls.

Day 3 - Victoria Falls sightseeing, overnight in same hotel.

Days 4 - 6 (3 nights) - Chobe NP in Botswana - Would appreciate suggestions for mid-range accommodation (i.e., under US$200/ZAR1300 ppn). Looking at Chobe Safari Lodge - recent experience?

Now it gets interesting...

Option A
Days 7 - 10 -. Here we need advice. A South African friend says we should consider renting a car (Kasane? Where?) and driving over 3 or 4 days or so through the Caprivi Strip and across Namibia to Windhoek, staying one night if possible somewhere near Etosha NP. We're intrigued, but the time tradeoff (see below) would be an issue, never mind the cost of one-way car hire, border yoga, all that. But it sounds like fun. Feedback please.

Day 11 - Fly WDH-JNB

Day 12 - Hire car, drive to Ezulwini, stay at Billy's Lodge. http://www.ezulwini.com/ Founded and owned by friends of our friends, so rather non-negotiable.

Days 13 - 15- Ezulwini. Day trip to Blyde Canyon and surrounds on one of these days.

Day 16 - Return to JNB, PM flight to Cape Town.

OR...

Option B
Day 7 - Fly VFA-JNB, overnight.

Days 8 - 11 - Same as Days 12-15 above (i.e. Ezulwini etc.)

Days 12 - 15 Overland to Durban via Ithala or Swaziland or ? Would like one fullish day in DUR. Unclear on precise route or accommodations.

Day 16 - Drop car, flight to Cape Town

Options A & B
Days 17 - 21 - Cape Town area incl. possible overnight on Garden Route or other destination ex-CPT.

Day 21 (Approximately 4th September) - Evening flight to London.

Thanks again for any assistance or ideas...
Feb 24th, 2005, 06:47 AM

Hi Gardyloo

About Option A:

The Trans-Caprivi Highway is a very good tarred road for more than 550km from Ngoma (west of Kasane) to points in Namibia. While interesting, IMO there is not much to see in the Caprivi Game Park (the longest stretch with few wildlife). There are no lodges that I know of (unless very new). Only camp sites with facilities more suited to overlanders, but my info is 6 months old.

What are your expectations for this part of the trip? I don't think Namibia is worth it on this itinerary.

Option B - Looks good. Why so interested in Durban? What are you hoping to see in Kwazulu? There are many options here. IMO, a better option than A unless you're into exploring the wild on your own in overlanding style.

The Last part - Cape Town. You have only 4 nights so I suggest staying in the CPT -Winelands area and forget about the Garden route, etc.

What do you think?
Feb 24th, 2005, 08:36 AM
Original Poster

Magical and Climbhigh - thanks to both of you.

I think we're tending to Option B - the thought of road-tripping across Namibia seems better suited for another time, plus as Magical says, there's overdoing it and badly overdoing it, and I think Option A is tending to the latter.

We're limited to where we can fly by the terms of our RTW ticket - have to use Comair (BA) services, not SAA, so CPT-WDH is off the table.

The KZN/Durban portion is probably the least well-thought out part of the itinerary; mainly it was to get to some warm weather and beach country after the interior bits and before CPT. Plus, I understand Swaziland is fairly interesting, if a bit slow going. Durban was on the list chiefly because we'd like to see (and eat) what the Asian community there has on offer, which we understand is plenty.

Point taken on Winelands v. Garden Route (typed the original message late at night my time and might have had a brain cramp.) Again, our Cape itinerary is going to remain flexible so that weather-related timing can be used.

Our approach to visiting a new country is (generally) to see as much as we can the first time, so that the second and subsequent times we can focus on things that have more interest to us. So it may seem a little frenetic, but it's part of a bigger scheme. One of the real benefits of our RTW itinerary is that we will accumulate sufficient frequent flyer miles that return visits will be easier to accomplish. We both suspect that southern Africa will be a real focus of those trips.

Thanks again.

Search this Thread