Re: Italy - this message for Rocco

Dec 28th, 2003, 03:37 PM
Original Poster

Re: Italy - this message for Rocco

I've been reading all the posts in this forum and noticed you were also going to Italy. Check out www.slowtrav.com. Those people know Italy like you all know Africa.
Dec 28th, 2003, 09:16 PM

tinlizzy2,

Thanks, I'll give it a look. Italy is more of an obligatory thing and one that may ultimately cause me to delay my travel to Tanzania until December if I don't find the precise dates I need in order to travel business class with my frequent flier miles.

Right now I am considering Globus Tours, only because there will likely be three other couples (my wife's parents and uncles) accompanying us on this trip. I would never consider doing an organized tour other than I just don't want to argue each day about the itinerary or before the trip even starts about the costs of the hotels, cities to visit, etc.

I am really not looking forward to an organized tour, but I don't know any other way to go with a group of eight persons.

Thanks again.
Dec 29th, 2003, 02:58 PM
Original Poster

Then you really need to explore that website. The message board especially. They have found the most marvelous villas to rent in Italy. When I was in Venice last summer we stayed at Palazetto da Schio, right around the block from the Guggenheim. That would not accomodate 8 unless you rented all the apartments but is an example of what's out there. Good luck.
Dec 29th, 2003, 03:40 PM
Original Poster

Forgot to mention Volareweb.com. You can fly Rome to Venice for €19.99. I used this airline to fly Venice-Paris. It was nicer then any US airline. You might consider renting cars in Rome then renting a villa for at least 8 in Umbria or southern Tuscany with a pool and gardens and driving (about an hour of gorgeous countryside)into Florence and Rome each day for sightseeing. Then back to the serenity of the country and a dip in the pool with a glass of wine each night. Return car to Rome and hop a flight to Venice where you can take a water taxi (very James Bond) into the city.
Jan 27th, 2004, 06:16 PM

tinlizzy,

My heartfelt and SINCERE thanks for the link to volareweb.com. Took me a month to finally be bothered to really take a look at it and I am absolutely AMAZED at the fares that are offered!

My plan is to run the Vienna Marathon on May 16th and then have about six nights on my own in Europe before taking a one way flight to Rome. I can actually fly from Paris to Rome for only 20 Euros per person!

I will likely now travel to a destination after Vienna that will allow a direct flight to Rome through volareweb.com.

Thanks again.

Search this Thread