Ras Nungwi in Zanzibar

Oct 4th, 2000, 09:44 AM
Nicki

Ras Nungwi in Zanzibar

I am trying to plan a honeymoon for next August and I'm considering Zanzibar. Can anyone give me any info on Ras Nungwi on the North Coast? It sounds great; good weather, beautiful beaches, nice food and away from it all. Is what I've heard true?
Thank-you.

Oct 5th, 2000, 06:21 AM
Adair

Hello Nicki. I just returned from Ras Nungwi and it is very beautiful. It would be a great place to go for your honeymoon. I went with a friend (both of us are girls) after several very long safaris to recoup and we were the ONLY two not on a honeymoon. Nor were there any other singles traveling. The food was good, the service wonderful and the beach was beautiful. Diving in August was not the best time of year but it was still great. The one draw back that I would have going there for my honeymoon is that there is no night life at all if you need some. The rest of Zanzibar is a busy place with plenty to do. We stayed at the Dhow Palace Hotel which we did because it was a bit more Arab than the Serena but the Serena was lovely.

Let me know if you would like more info. Adair

Oct 12th, 2000, 09:15 AM
Nicole

Hi.

My husband and I stayed at Ras Nungwi in Dec. 1997. The only complaint I would have is that the HEAT was unbearable at night. I had quite a bit of coorespondance with Ras Nungwi about this as I knew they didn't have a/c. They replied saying that they did have ceiling fans and got a nice breeze off the water, so we decided to go for it. Well, they failed to mention that the fans are run on a generator and it is shut OFF at around midnight (so no celing fan!). Plus, our bed was positioned out of the way of any air current that might come through. WE tried to move the bed, but couldn't because of the mosiquito net....

I would also second the thought that there is NO nightlife. After dinner, everyone pretty much turns in for bed.

That being said, the beaches are as beautiful as the pictures show and the food was pretty good too. I guess it depends on your tolerance to heat and maybe it is worse in Dec....

Search this Thread