Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page > Rank your preference - Penguin Colony, Winelands, Freedom Tour

Rank your preference - Penguin Colony, Winelands, Freedom Tour

Oct 24th, 2004, 10:01 AM
Original Poster

Rank your preference - Penguin Colony, Winelands, Freedom Tour

How would you rank these Capetown tours/attractions?
Oct 24th, 2004, 01:43 PM

Hello Aggiewriter,

This is a really difficult question, because it involves comparing oranges and apples. Each person's interests are different. There is no way of knowing if another person's priorities are similar to one's own, why an individual has chosen Africa as a destination in the first place, etc.

Here are my own, very subjective priorities:

(1) Freedom Tour. I have never done a "Freedom Tour" as such. By Freedom Tour, do you mean the one described on this website?

http://www.time2travel.com/ct/legend/walk.html

If so, I have never done it as a single tour. However, I have done components of it at different times. I am curious about people and their society and history, so this activity would appeal to me.

(2) You haven't mentioned it, but a day trip to the Cape of Good Hope Nature Reserve at Cape Point is a wonderful outing from a scenic point of view. I don't see a penguin colony as a destination in its own right. Rather, you can view the penguin colony at Kalk Bay EN ROUTE to Cape Point. If you return to your lodgings in Cape Town via the Chapman's Peak drive and the Atlantic seaboard, so much the better.

(3) Winelands. This certainly would make for a delightful day trip, and there are those who would give it a higher priority than I have done. Scenic and interesting though the winelands are, I would rank them after the "Freedom Tour" and Cape Point.

If I remember correctly, you'll have 4 nights in Cape Town. Therefore it seems to me you would be able to do all of the above mentioned activities, and would not be forced to choose from amongst them.

If you somehow can fit in a cable car ride to the top of Table Mountain, especially at sunset, that would be the frosting on the cake.
Oct 24th, 2004, 03:11 PM
Original Poster

Two days of our trip are planned with other activities (including Table Mountain). The penguin colony portion does include the botanical gardens, but we're not big on looking at plants. I understand it's a magnificent site, but I wonder if this will be wasted time for us. Robben Island is not included, either, and that is more along the lines of how we would prefer to spend out time. I hope we can change the itinerary a bit once we get there.
Oct 24th, 2004, 03:18 PM
Original Poster

Judy: I just clicked on the link you provided for the Freedom Tour. Yes, that is what I am referring to. Thank you. That actually allows me to see how we can work it into our already planned schedule...We have one free day now and I believe we'll use that for the winelands.

Thank you very much. How were people able to make travel decisions before message boards?

Search this Thread