Ramadan's begun!

Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 10:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ramadan's begun!

Just to let everyone know, especially if you plan to travel to a Muslim country, Ramadan began tonight.

Laura
Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 10:59 AM

Which country are you in? Here in Morocco its due to begin Sunday the 25th or Monday the 26th.
Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 12:36 PM
Original Poster

I'm in Egypt. The mosques announced the start of Ramadan not long after sundown. I think it's the same everywhere, although perhaps the time difference between Cairo and Morocco delays its start by a few hours.

Laura
Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 12:54 PM

This is a question that has been bugging me since I moved here. But I found out the answer yesterday.

In ancient times, Ramadan started all over the world when the crescent moon was sighted in Mecca.

Now each country has its own official group of investigators who go out & search the sky to look for the crescent moon. Thus, it can be different in Egypt and Morocco.

Last night (Friday) in Egypt the investigators searched the skies for the crecent moon, but couldn't find it. Apparently tonight (Saturday the 23rd) they did. Thus the month of Ramadan started when they saw it and the fast will start tomorrow (Sunday) morning at sun rise.

Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 05:46 PM

Sunshine007 - you're right on. We havent seen the moon here yet, so even though its Sunday, no one has yet pronounced the beginning of Ramadan. Last year, Ramadan started in Saudi a full two days before it started in Morocco.
Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 10:11 PM

Its strange but in Kuwait Ramadan started Saturday 23/9 and I believe in some other countries it starts on Monday.
Old Sep 24th, 2006, 05:00 AM
sandi

Only last evening did I hear on the news that Ramadan had started in Saudi and the Palestinian territories on Saturday; it would be different days in other countries. But no reason was mentioned as to why! Your information about the crescent moon is appreciated. Thanks.

Old Sep 24th, 2006, 06:21 AM

Today - Sunday - is the first day of fasting in Morocco....so Ramadan has officially begun here now.
Old Sep 24th, 2006, 08:29 AM

Here in Cairo I had been warned of horrible traffic jams starting at 1:30 or 2:00. What I wasn't warned was that by 5:00, most people were home already so the Corniche next to the Nile was almost empty.

It was my worst nightmare come true, Cairo drivers, who are amazinly bad drivers under the best of conditions, were starving, and lightheaded,and were gunning their motors to get home by 6:11 when they can break their fast and no other traffic to impede them.

It was hair raising.
Old Sep 24th, 2006, 08:59 AM

We'll be in Egypt for Rammdan.Sunshine or huladolphin... any suggestions for us Westerners during that time?
Old Sep 24th, 2006, 09:55 AM
Original Poster

Cairo is at its best during Ramadan. Some people get a little cranky before sundown (they've been fasting all day), but, generally, people are nicer and give you less harassment during this time. Traffic becomes horrendous at certain times of the day, a few hours before the iftaar meal at sundown, and people stay up all night! I was rather startled to wake up at about 2:30 am last night and here a man banging a drum and shouting for people to wake up. Many Muslims break fast at sundown, stay up for most of the night socializing and praying, and eat a pre-dawn meal before the sun rises around three.
Be prepared for the pace of things to slow down, especially in the afternoon, and some things to be closed, although all of the tourist sites will be open. The streets literally become empty around 5:30, which is the most eerie sight I've witnessed, to see Medan Tahrir, the center of life and traffic jams, almost devoid of life. Be prepared for some crazy partying around the Khan El-Khalili area, particularly at night. I've been told that women should veil in this area, but I have yet to test that theory.
Anyway, to witness Cairo during Ramadan is pretty amazing, so just enjoy yourself and be flexible!

Laura
Old Sep 24th, 2006, 06:33 PM

You're right Sunshine....the driving situation during Ramadan is awuful! My kids often walked to and from their friends' houses in the afternoon, but if it was getting anywhere NEAR the time when folks would be rushing home....they stayed where they were until I felt it was safe to venture out onto the streets!
Old Sep 24th, 2006, 06:52 PM

If you're feeling a little brave and somewhat adventurous, try breaking the fast with some locals at a cafe in the Kahn or elsewhere. It's great food and great fun. Don't be shy - there's people enjoying the meal all around you. Ramadan is all about doing good for others so people are even more hospitable than usual. There are some large boats on the nile that also host large Ramadan parties with lots of food and people celebrating. Don't miss out on the chance to buy a Ramadan lantern...they're beautiful and cheap.
Have a great trip.
Old Sep 25th, 2006, 06:00 AM

LizYoung...please elaborate on both the Ramadan lantern and the boat parties on the Nile...I''d love more info on them!

What happens at the end of Ramadan? I understand there is some kind of celebration, does anyone have inforamtion about this?
Old Sep 25th, 2006, 08:13 AM

While I'm sure there are some very nice Ramadan lanterns around, most of the ones I saw were relatively cheap plastic. But - they are colorful, quite decorative, and fun. I bought a bunch of small ones one year and put them on my Xmas tree. (Yeah - I know -mixing religions...).

Old Sep 25th, 2006, 08:20 AM

Good idea...I always buy a Christmas ornament from wherever we travel. Thought it was going to be tough finding one there! I did a little research and found some to be quite pretty, but also very large! Might be tough to bring home a 4 foot Ramadan lantern!
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 04:33 AM

Greetings all. I made the quick, but not well researched, purchase of tickets for a week of travel in Morocco, starting in a little more than a week (Oct 9-14). I've read many opinions on whether or not this is a good time to travel. What I've gathered:

Business goes on normally, but with hours shifting to later times. Some resturants that cater to tourists will still be open. Will grocery stores still be open during the day? Also, what about wine? Can it still be bought at tourist oriented locations?

How about taxi and trains. Do they reamin the same?

I'll be traveling with a female friend who is quite new to traveling, but I've always told her how much I like Morocco. I could change tickets at the last second to some tourist place like Rome, but would sure like to go to Africa.

Important, but hopefully unnecessary question: Ramadan encourages goodwill and following the teachings of the Koran, but are there instances of hightened religious outcries against non-muslims by students/zealots? Doubt it, but had to ask.

Shukran everyone-
Rob
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 06:49 AM

Rob,
Your info regarding business opening hours etc during Ramadan is correct - but the hours arent necessarily shifted. The only time that most things will be closed is from about 5:30 pm until about 7pm to give everyone time to break the fast.

Taxis and trains operate normally.

Grocery stores will be open normal daytime hours. You can purchase alcohol at the larger supermarkets but only if you bring your passport to prove that you are not Moroccan. Restauarnts that normally serve wine and beer will still do so.

Regarding "hightened" religious outcries against non-Muslims- I've never heard of those taking place in Morocco - Ramadan or not...and I'm an American female who's been living in a very conservative area for 5 years. Dont worry, non-Muslims are welcomed in Morocco.