ramadan is it a good time to travel

Jul 5th, 2002, 04:37 PM
RICHARD

ramadan is it a good time to travel

Hi..i plan on travelling to Morrocco in mid November and early December and expect ramadan to be in full swing partial or for many days can someone, tell me what to expect. I really dont want to travel only to find everyone is at prayers and supper is at 9 pm ...Please advise

Jul 6th, 2002, 07:44 AM
Rick's Cafe

Hello
We will be there about the same time and are curious as well what folks might say. Several years ago we traveled in Egypt during Ramadan and found it was an intersting part of the experience. The Egyptians, notably in Cairo, would burst out of their work at sundown and heaven help the poor fool who got between them and their food. But besides smokers being cranky and the romantic watching their watches it was no big problem at all; it is something they do every year and we are merely observers. In Cairo there was no real problem with us getting a snack during the day but frankly we worried about whether we would offend a lot more than their taking offense. It's their religious holiday and we found we could wait; observing the life was the reason we were there.

Jul 6th, 2002, 08:57 AM
Rick's Cafe

Check this out:
http://french.about.com/library/trav...a-ramadan2.htm

Jul 9th, 2002, 05:05 AM
steve

I was in Morrocco for the last week of Ramadan around 5 years ago. There are a few things to consider. First, I wouldn't flagrantly eat in public during the day. Be discreet. In a restaurant it's ok. Second, the last couple of days are big holidays and many Morrocans go home to be with their families. If you are travelling by bus it might be hard to get a seat. Third, I would try to avoid public transport late in the afternoon, especially for long trips. The mountain passes are tricky enough, but imagine being driven by someone who hasn't eaten all day. Fourth, you might even consider doing as they do in rome so to speak by not eating during the day. Try it for a day and see what it is like. Fourth, try the harira, the soup that most Morrocans break their fast with along with them. It is delicious. Fifth, in cities you will be greatly hassled by beggars and other touts. The only time you wont be is when the siren goes off and everyone spends fifteen minutes breaking their fasts. That is a great time for you to walk across town or do whatever needs to be done without the hassle. Lastly, especially towards the end of the month, especially late in the afternoon, tempers can be short. I witnessed some unusual goings on. However, overall, the fact that it's Ramadan should not deter you from visiting. It could add some color to your experience. Enjoy!

Search this Thread