Rabat with 13-year-old in February

Old Nov 22nd, 2007, 04:35 AM
Original Poster

Rabat with 13-year-old in February

Sorry if my questions are a little naive. I have just started my research on this and have limited access to english language tour books. I have already read most of the Morocco threads here on Fodors and will check the Fodors site...

We live in Zurich. My daughter will be participating in a concert at the Rabat American School at the end of February. I am going to tag along. I'd like to spend a couple of extra days in Morocco with her and am looking for any suggestions/advice.

I have heard the Erg Chebbi is a great experience but wondered how far that is from Rabat and if it is a place to visit in February. Also, do you recommend a guide for seeing Rabat. I will have more time for looking about than she will as she'll be rehearsing some of the days.

The teachers will be staying at the Ibis Moussafir Rabat. Any experience with this hotel? Any other recommendations for me? My daughter will be housed with an international school family but I will need to find accomodations for myself and possibly my husband.

Thank you for any advice and recommendations you can provide.

Old Nov 23rd, 2007, 01:40 AM

First, absolutely no need at all for a guide to Rabat. The medina is manageable. Make sure to visit Salé across the estuary.

Erg Chebbi would require a total of four days, two to get there, a night in the desert, and two to get back (you could do 12+ hours of driving in one go but not recommended). I'd suggest visiting Marrakesh or Fes as these are well connected by rail two of the prime attractions of Morocco.

The Ibis is a chain owned by Alcor, the same people who own Motel 6 in the USA. Accommodation is basic, decently priced and usually well located (often near train stations). For you and your husband you might think about staying in a Riad, a traditional Moroccan courtyard house. The website Trip Advisor has a search for Rabat hotels where you can see what is available.
Old Nov 23rd, 2007, 03:34 PM

HII
just keeping you informed there is a humble family living in RABAT that come from ERG CHEBBI desert ; a hospital family has got 2 twin brothers working in tourist domain who can help in the field . i informed you because i've made a talk with them exactly in the hotel that you announced IBIS MOUSSAFIR one. i could help giving u their email or cell phone if u need whatever...keep in touch with them .
srry if i only can help with email ...persenally haven't got any data about RABAT with it's region , i've been once .
have it on the top.
Old Nov 26th, 2007, 03:57 AM
Original Poster

thank you for your feedback. I am going to plan for either Marrakesh or Fes after Rabat. Any preferences one versus the other?

Also, will check Tripadvisor for the Riad as suggested.

Thanks again!

g.
Old Nov 26th, 2007, 08:38 AM
jgg

Both Marakkech and Fez are wonderful cities to explore. I guess a lot would depend on how many days you actually had. Fez is much closer to Rabat so you wouldn't have as much travel time to get there.