Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Quick, easy ?.... drive time between Ngorongoro Sopa Lodge and Lobo Wildlife Lodge? (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/quick-easy-drive-time-between-ngorongoro-sopa-lodge-and-lobo-wildlife-lodge-734834/)

Idnas71 Sep 7th, 2007 12:20 PM

Quick, easy ?.... drive time between Ngorongoro Sopa Lodge and Lobo Wildlife Lodge?

As another option, how about the drive time between Ngorongoro Sopa Lodge and Seronera Wildlife Lodge?

Thanks in advance!

sandi Sep 7th, 2007 01:06 PM

You ask about Ngo Sopa to Lobo Wildlife in title, but Seronera Wildlife in text?

To Seronera, figure about 3.5/hrs; to Lobo about 6/hrs. Always dependent on time of year and road conditions.

Idnas71 Sep 7th, 2007 01:13 PM

Thank you... I wanted to know the answer to both. I didn't know if there was more than one route from the Crater to different areas of the Serengeti.

Idnas71 Sep 7th, 2007 01:13 PM

Sorry, forgot to add October as the time of year.

sandi Sep 7th, 2007 01:15 PM

If the roads are dry, you're okay. If wet, this can extend drive times. Here it is September and they've had rain in the Masai Mara with vehicles slippin' 'n a-slidin'

Bill_H Sep 7th, 2007 01:54 PM

What I'd do is get up early at Sopa, leave the lodge at 6 AM with boxed breakfast and lunch, and do a leisurely game drive across the crater floor, stopping for breakfast at the Lerai picnic area around 9:30.

Then up the hill to the main road on the rim and head for Seronera. You could eat your tasty boxed lunch at Naabi Hill (Serengeti entrance) or take the scenic route from Naabi to Seronera and stop somewhere on the way to eat lunch. Arrive at Seronera early afternoon, check in and clean up and head out for an afternoon game drive, then back to the lodge for dinner.

I wouldn't try to do this drive rapidly, there is plenty to see along the way and the distances are such that you can get in game drives at the crater in the AM and around Seronera in the PM.

Lobo is further north, I'd try instead for the Sopa - Seronera link in one unhurried day.

Bill

Idnas71 Sep 7th, 2007 02:04 PM

Thanks for that detailed suggestion, Bill. I like it. I was basically wondering if there was a different route taken from the Ngorongoro Sopa Lodge to Seronera Wildlife Lodge vs. Ng. Sopa to Lobo Wildlife Lodge. It seems that the route is the same, and you will pass through Seronera on the way to Lobo. Or is that not right, either?

Okay... here's another question if you don't mind. I think I want to stay 2 nights at Ngorongoro Sopa Lodge. Will be traveling from Tarangire River Camp, with hopefully a brief drive-through visit of Lake Manyara on the way. I was hoping to arrive in time to see a lovely sunset at the Crater, but in case I didn't make it in time, was planning to stay two nights.

Do you think it is enough for me to stay just one night at the Crater? This particular ecosystem does fascinate me, and I thought it might be worth two different mornings of game drives. But I also need to be budget conscious where I can.

Thanks for any further thoughts... appreciate it.

sandi Sep 7th, 2007 02:29 PM

Each visit into the crater, which is limited to 6/hr visits (morning or afternoon, but not both on same day) are costly. If traveling with a companion, it's about $115/person... each visit, more as a solo traveler.

Idnas71 Sep 7th, 2007 02:34 PM

Oh, that is good to know. Thank you. I imagine one trip to the Crater floor will be enough for me, then, and probably just one overnight.

ShayTay Sep 7th, 2007 02:55 PM

An e-mail I received from Kibo this week says that officials are not yet enforcing the half day rule at the Crater, so you might be able to spend more time there.

aby Sep 8th, 2007 10:53 PM

Hi Idnas71

remember <font color="red"> &quot;African&quot; hours are not really made of 60 conventional minutes </font> that is, quoted travel times can even double at certain circumstances...
+ it's useless to count Kms on a map!!
(&amp; <b>Sandi</b> is right about rain, mud etc' but even wildlife sightings on the road can change plans totally)
keep in mind <b>Bill</b>'s good suggestion of a packed meal!
even without visiting the Caldera floor for gamedrive, one can hardly make it for lunch in Seronera because of different things on the way - take a picnic lunch !
even on a non-muddy-road-day, You can stop for Olduvai (=Ol Tupai) Gorge, many stop for a visit at Maasai 'enkang' (village).
Sometimes the road to Serengeti has a lot of wildlife
Driving only from the gate to Seronera (on the main road), takes a good hour &amp; only god knows how long it really takes when different creatures keep &quot;popping&quot; on the way...
&amp; i'm not even mentioning gettin' off the main road passing through some Kopjes etc' (BTW in the eastern part of Serengeti, in some areas, it is allowed to drive off-road ! )

have fun

aby

aby Sep 8th, 2007 11:01 PM

just to make myself clear:
<i>&quot;gettin' off the main road</i>
means driving on secondary ROADS.

driving <u>off-road</u> is a totally different thing = driving anywhere on the grass without any existing road. this is generally not allowed except foe certain specified areas