Questions to ask of a tour company

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20th, 2007, 07:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What are the most important questions to be asking a tour company? Are there any important ones that you asked, or wished you would have after?
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 08:28 AM

These comments relate not just to Africa.

I almost always ask for at least 2 references and I often request the option to speak with the references on the phone in addition to just emailing.

I like to see the company listed in a guide book, such as Fodors, Frommers, Bradt, Rough Guide, LP. Many agents can tell you what page they are on of what edition. I check it out. I ask if they have been mentioned in any independent newspaper or magazine articles. Of course Conde Nast and Travel and Leisure do rankings. While the companies and properties that rank high on these lists are very reputable and offer excellent services, I don’t use that list in my decisions. I don’t believe these are impartial rankings, but take into account advertising dollars.

The basics of what is or is not included are usually in writing, but be sure you understand them, especially transfers. Is anyone picking you up at the airport? Is there a hotel shuttle? Is the shuttle free and is it 24 hours if you have a real early or late flight?

Check their affiliations IATA in US, KATO in Kenya, TATO in Tanzania. If it is a US company, I check Better Business Bureau.

How do they give back to the places in which they operate?

If they claim to be “eco” how are they eco and how do they differ from other non-eco operators?

Where do your deposits go? Client Trust Account?

What is the minimum number of participants for the trip to go? If that minimum number is not reached, then what? (Sometimes the trip will go with a supplement for only 1 or 2) The maximum number is also important. <b>For Africa, does everyone always have a window seat?</b> I was surprised that when that question was recently posed to a big name travel outfit, the answer was &quot;no you rotate.&quot;
Unless you are doing a big truck participation camping trip, your own window is a must. Even in the big trucks, everybody has their own spot where they hang their legs out the side.

Make sure you understand luggage weight restrictions for all flights. Once I was in the dark on this issue and had to pay about $12 for being overweight, but not in Africa.

Taking this one step further, if I feel I have been shorted during the trip, I definitely follow up post-trip with a specific complaint/explanation and a specific request to make things right. I've never been denied such request, but I don't ask for compensation often and when I do it is reasonable.

Old Apr 20th, 2007, 11:31 PM

Kittykatgirl,

I just want to comment that Atravelynn's above answer to your mail question is an absolte stunner. It covers so much that you can use plus lots more. If you use the advice that has been passed onto you via Lynn's mail and something goes wrong thereafter then all I can say is that you will have been affected by a very minute possibility of problem as Lynn's response is so comprehensive.

Great answer Lynn and certainly a mail to keep for future reference when evaluating a tour operator or tour company.

Very proudly part of the wonderful nation of South Africa
Old Apr 21st, 2007, 07:30 PM

Why thank you Selwyn! Looking forward to my first visit to South Africa in June.
Old May 29th, 2007, 06:23 AM

Given the current situation with a missing travel consultant, those who have not made a commitment may be wise to review Lynn's check list.
Old May 29th, 2007, 08:04 AM

Hi! I've been doing a bit of research on this myself and I'm afraid I disagree about the value of the IATA designation.

If the agency sells airline tickets it seems to be quite meaningful as they need to go through various checks, but if the agency doesn't sell airline tickets the requirements it doesn't seem to be any more meaningful than ASTA or any of the other associations.

The owners have to have a certain amount of money (not necessarily deposited, just &quot;committed&quot, a business bank account, some form of advertising (which can just mean a yellow pages ad), 2 letters of recommendation (which can include ASTA and other agent groups), and an errors and omissions policy (which costs a few hundred dollars). It seems like the main thing this does is ensure the agency has money in the bank and that the agent has made some sort of financial commitment. While these are good signs, they don't necessarily tell you if the agent is dependable or not.

I wish I had another suggestion to make!

Moira
Old May 29th, 2007, 10:00 AM

In the US, also check to see what legal requirements, if any, a particular state has for agencies operating in that state and see if the agency is in compliance. CA for example has a seller of travel law.

http://ag.ca.gov/travel/
Old May 29th, 2007, 10:35 AM

If you book with a company in Botswana check if they are with HATAB,But this is mostly the Mobile safari operators.
most companies in the US book at the end of the day with a local company.
A lot of lodges does not belong to IATA.
No reason to.
Check if the company have been in bussiness for at least 3-5 years.
Old May 29th, 2007, 07:54 PM

Moira, are those requirements you stated something needed to sell airline tickets? That's interesting.
Old May 30th, 2007, 05:04 AM

Hi Lynn! According to the IATA website the requirements are different for agencies selling tickets and those not selling tickets. The requirements I listed are for agencies NOT selling tickets.

They are much stricter for agencies selling tickets (it looks like IATA is really an airline organization and the certification thing is a sort of spin off, so it makes sense that they would be more interested in agencies selling tickets) and include having a bond.

Their website has a lot of information, http://www.iatan.org

Moira

Old May 30th, 2007, 05:14 AM

BTW I looked at the statute for the CA Seller of Travel Law (newly revised for January 2007). It states that &quot;sellers of travel&quot; means sellers of &quot;air or sea transportation, either separately or in conjunction with other travel services&quot; or &quot;land or water vessel transportation, other than sea carriage, either separately or in conjunction with other travel services if the total charge to the passenger exceeds $300&quot;.

This is a bit ambiguous in terms of the trips most of us book, since it sounds like a lot of people use FF miles for the air and only book land arrangements through their agent (this is what I did on my last trip and what we are planning to do on our upcoming trip). I'm not sure if the light aircraft flights count as &quot;air transportation&quot; since they're not licensed carriers and the flights aren't actually sold separately from the camps.

Moira