Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Questions on Israel/Jordan Border Crossings and Jordan Travel. Need Help!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18th, 2013, 12:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello--My husband and I are planning a trip next year to Israel and Jordan. We plan to visit Israel first, then Jordan. I know you can cross into Jordan at the Allenby Bridge outside of Jerusalem. So this might seem like a silly question---but once I cross the border, what would I do then? Are rental cars available there? We are planning to visit Petra and then on to Aqaba. So basically, what is the best way after the Israel portion of our trip--to get to Petra and then to Aqaba? After Aqaba, we will fly home via Amman. Thanks so much for your help!
Old Mar 18th, 2013, 12:48 PM

Having just driven for a week in Jordan I would say the answer depends entirely on your comfort level with driving in countries you are unfamiliar with. I found the drivers there to be pretty good. But the roads varied between good and awful. Lane markers are few and not that meaningful. And many road signs are washed out and impossible to read.
Old Mar 18th, 2013, 01:24 PM

This subject is on my mind having just returned from Jordon yesterday and not knowing what to write in my forthcoming trip report. We rented our car in Madaba which is just southwest of Amman. Our hotel owner there told us that his guests almost always get lost driving in the area of the bridge and in Amman itself. South of Amman the driving gets easier.

We almost had to rent a car as there were five of us and most taxis and driver/car arrangements were not doable for five. If we go back as a twosome and only need transportation from point A to point B (as opposed to touring around leisurely) I would probably pay a driver to take us. Amman-Petra-Aqaba-Amman would cost about the same or less with a driver as would renting a car. But you lose the flexibility.

I am sure others have more experience with these matters than me.
Old Mar 18th, 2013, 05:09 PM
Original Poster

Thank you very much for your information. It is very much appreciated. I did have a follow up question. My husband has a lot of hotel stay points for a major hotel in Aqaba. We are scuba divers so plan to stay there for several days. Is it too ambitious to travel from Aqaba to Petra as a day trip? We are also interested in visiting Wadi Rum. I believe that is definitely close enough to Aqaba for a day trip?
Old Mar 18th, 2013, 05:32 PM

It's a two hour drive from Aqaba to Petra. We did most of the route on our way from Petra to Wadi Rum. The part of the drive near Petra is very scenic.

It's only about an hour from Aqaba to Wadi Rum. People at our camp did it in reverse as a day trip. But please note we did not go to Aqaba so I can't comment on what driving is like in the city.
Old Mar 19th, 2013, 10:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again everyone for your helpful insight. One other question. So I see from my Internet research that hiring drivers/guides is quite common (versus renting a car). Any thoughts on how to find a reputable guide/driver? So how does that work? I don't need a travel agency type thing, as we are booking on our hotels. I need someone to pick me up at the Israel/Jordan border and then drive us to Petra and tour Petra. Then get to Aqaba. Do you pay for the tour guides/drivers hotel? I wasn't exactly sure how the logistics of this type of thing works. Perhaps renting a car is the most straightforward? Thanks.
Old Mar 19th, 2013, 10:34 AM

I would be extremely surprised if any of your hotels would not jump at the opportunity to supply you with a driver. We stayed in three hotels and they all wanted to drive us everywhere. I would probably be looking for different drivers for each part of the trip. Are you staying the night in Petra? I suppose your driver could stay near you but that is not what we saw happening. FYI our hotel was asking about $100US to drive someone from near Amman to Petra, stopping at several sites along the way.

We rented with Monte Carlo at the recommendation of our hotel. You can see on the attached that they will deliver the car to you at the bridge for $30. They also supply drivers if you decide to go that way.

Normally I wouldn't mention a specific company but we were lucky we rented a car recommended by our hotel. On our last day some kids threw rocks at our car and caused some damage. The hotel intervened with the rental car company to ensure we were not charged anything.

http://www.montecar.com/Faq.htm#1Z10
Old Mar 19th, 2013, 09:36 PM

Once you cross the Allenby bridge you can take a shared taxi (called a "sherut" in Hebrew)to Jerusalem. The go to the Damascus Gate just outside the Old City. From there you can take a regular taxi to your hotel. There is no car rental at the Allenby Bridge
Old Mar 20th, 2013, 07:59 AM
jgg

Since you are heading south anyway I would consider crossing at the Eilat crossing, from everything I've heard it is much easier that crossing at Allenby. We drove from Jerusalem to Eilat - stopping for a visit at the Dead Sea and Masada on the way. We spent a few nights in Eilat and crossed into Jordan from there for a daytrip to Petra. You could just cross at the border and head to Aqaba. Doing Petra as a daytrip from there is definitely doable. Also, we found border crossing at Eilat very simple.

Here is a link to my blog with details of our trip and pictures:
http://www.fromhometoroam.com/catego...e-east/israel/
Old Mar 20th, 2013, 04:29 PM

Hi --

Solo female traveler here, crossed from Israel to Jordan, then traveled down Jordan.

Americans can cross at the South or North borders without a visa, but you need a visa in advance to cross Allenby. You can acquire it from the Jordan embassy in the U.S., but it expires something like 30 days after they issue it. Crossing can be a headache and can take hours.

Alternatively, you can fly from Tel Aviv to Amman and avoid the crossing hassle (but instead you'll deal with the Security hassle at the airport).

Also, what jgg said: I've heard crossing at Eilat is easy.

I was very happy with my itinerary:

Driver picked me up at the airport (midnight) and drove me to the Dead Sea (so glad I spent a day there), $50 through the Marriott (1 hour). I wouldn't have wanted to drive that at night.

Rented a car at the Marriott (arranged in advance), there is a car rental desk in the lobby.

Drove straight down the coast, along the Dead Sea. Beautiful, easy drive. Was very glad I had a car to enjoy it, take detours. Two hours to Feynan Ecolodge.

Stayed one night at the Feynan Ecolodge.

Drove over the mountains to Petra. This was very scary (but exhilirating): I recommend a 4 x 4. 2-3 hour drive.

Petra to Wadi Rum. Easy drive, but confusing because of poor signage. 2-hour drive.

Wadi Rum to Aqaba. Easy, straightforward drive. Approximately an hour. Returned it in Aqaba. They said that they would pick it up, but they would not. Turns out the return center was across from my hotel (the Doubletree).

I debated and debated whether or not I should rent a car: control issues vs. security. I was so glad I rented one for the autonomy and freedom it allowed me. Most of the time it was fun, occasionally it was harrowing.

What I learned: 1) book from a reputable company (I did a lot of research). 2) get gas when you can. If you're crossing the country you may go very far before running into a station. 3) cell phone service would be good to have if you're driving across Jordan. 4) Renting a car ($200 for four days) was fairly inexpensive. 5) As always, have good insurance.
Old Mar 28th, 2013, 08:13 AM

Hi again: done this several times. Crossing at ALlenby is harder due to what Esme said above. [unless you have a diplomatic passport.] [We are actually crossing at allenby on saturday enroute to amman/cairo. ]Crossing at eilat is easier and we have done that several times. You can get to the border and walk across and get a taxi on Jordan side to Petra [as my inlaws did--like 100$usd, I think?] or arrange a driver from your hotel. Aquaba is OK but still reccommend Tala Bay 15 minutes down the road for nicer resorts and diving on the premises. If you can't use your points at one of those hotels [we like Moevenpick]then you can stay in Aquaba and check out various diving spots between aquaba and tala bay. Wadi rum is accessible from Aquaba, no problem., I wrote some of this on your other post. enjoy-
Old Oct 23rd, 2016, 01:30 PM

I am a single lady and am planning to go to Petra and Wadi Ram from Modiin in Israel. Can anyone recommend a good group tour to these places.Which is better --to leave from Tel Aviv or Jerusalem? I dont particularly want to go to Eilat.