Questions on Essaouira & Marrakech

Aug 22nd, 2001, 11:48 AM
Shannon McCourt

Questions on Essaouira & Marrakech

I am planning on going to Essaouira and Marrakech on my honeymoon after a 5 day stay in Paris. How many days are good for each. I plan on spending 6 days total in Morocco. Also, I'm getting nervous on whether I will like it or not. Are both places really magical or dumpy? What shots do I need to get?

Aug 23rd, 2001, 04:14 PM
texasgirl

First off, I loved Morocco. Seeing the sun rise in the Sahara, driving over the Atlas mountains, and hanging out in the Djemma el Fna in Marrakech are some of my best travel memories ever.
But I am willing to concede it is not for every taste. I suppose some could consider Marrakech kind of dumpy, though I think its architecture, with the walls and the tile and the courtyards, just beautiful. Where else have you traveled? What kinds of trips do you like? What kinds of hotels do you like and have you booked yet in Marrakech?
Personally, if I had only six days, I would probably base in Marrakech and take a couple day trips, but I might skip Essaouira. It just wasn't my favorite place, and if you are looking for a tropical beach resort, it isn't that at all.
I will also add that many people warned me I wouldn't like Morocco, that it was difficult to travel in, and I didn't really find that.
Oh, I don't think you need any shots _ we didn't _ but if unsure, always check with your family doc.
congratulations on your marriage!

Aug 29th, 2001, 08:13 AM
clif

I was in Morocco last summer. Morocco is the kind of place that either you love it or hate it. I thought it was incredible. Very nice people! You have to go there with an open mind and a little bit of adventure. You'll find that some areas are quite primitive but exotic. We spent three days in Marrakech and were amazed. We did spend two days in Essaouira and thought it was well worth it. The ocean breezes were a relief after after spending ten days in the dessert and interior. I agree that Marrakech would be a good base. Do your homework before you go and enjoy!

Search this Thread