Questions about Cameras and Clothes

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28th, 2007, 04:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am starting to shop around for a new/"better" camera than my current one to take to Africa. My current digital is only a 4x. Takes great pics, but definitely thinking I need more "power" for this trip. I am not an avid photographer. As a matter of fact, I am not usually a good picture taker. That's not to say that the quality of my photography is bad, I just usually don't take them unless on a "big trip." For that reason, I don't want to spend a lot of money on a new one, as it probably won't get used again until my next trip to Africa (haven't even gone on the first one yet, jeez).

I'm looking at the Canon Powershot S3 IS (this is not an SLR.) It's a 12x. My current camera is also a Canon and I love it. Apparently you can still add other lenses to give it a higher mag factor. Does that mean that if you attach an additional 2x telefoto, you're doubling the zoom factor? How do these additional lenses (if at all) affect picture quality or cameral performance?

As you can tell, when it comes to cameras, I'm quite technomalogically challenged and it looks like there's lots of folks on here who know a thing or two about a thing or two.

My Clothes question is about fabric. Cotton (or other natural fibers) is best, no? I'm thinking I want to buy a couple/few pair of convertible pants. That way I take care of double the wardrobe with one article. Most of these pants that I'm finding, as well as pretty much anything labeled "quick dry" is mostly (if not totally) comprised of polyester or nylon - breathable nylon. Isn't that an oxymoron? hehe What's the deal? I understand that it's lightweight, but is it really that breathable that it will suffice in the place of cotton?

Also saw some convertibles that were "light weight canvas." Seems those might still be a tad heavy, but perhaps not. Definitely not a quick dry fabric, though.

That said (or asked as the case may be), I have found some all (or mostly) cotton convertibles, but they are a bit pricey. Not in a rush, so can continue to shop around. Just trying to clear up my confusion about the fabric.

As always, much appreciating everyone's assistance and suggestions.

Shane
Old Apr 28th, 2007, 05:17 PM

On clothes- my husband and I took mostly convertible pants as we also climbed Kilimanjaro. Cotton takes a long time to dry and does not "wick" moisture. You'll notice the difference if you get the cotton ones wet compared to the nylon/wicking ones- the cotton ones typically take a long time to dry. The nylon/poly fabrics are quitet breathable. We shopped at REI and Sierra Trading Post for our REI, North Face, and Mtn Hardware convertible pants.
Old Apr 28th, 2007, 05:21 PM

When are you going?
I am going in January and have some similar questions - I've been looking at summer-weight clothes and, oddly, I can't find much in the way of "bottoms" made of a THIN material of any kind.
I am also the only person I know who dislikes wearing shorts, so I'll probably compromise with wide-legged capris or cropped pants (what we used to call "flood pants&quot.
I also don't much see the need for a vest with a million pockets - or any vest at all, but I'm a newbie, so what do I know?
I have a new digital camera that I haven't had a chance to try yet - it's a very small Panasonic Lumix with a BUILT IN zoom, - and stabilizer control - not great for a real photo buff, but prety good for a lazy amateur like me. Or so I'm told by some real photography mavens.
Old Apr 28th, 2007, 05:26 PM

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/pa...mc_tz1-review/

If you would like to see a review of the camera, this is a good place to look.

Old Apr 28th, 2007, 05:44 PM

I have an alternative idea for you, because I think it is very hard to get good pictures of animals with a point and shoot. Why not buy a Canon Rebel and rent an image stabilization telephoto lens from Calumet to take on safari? My mom is a horrible photographer, but even she can take a decent picture with the Rebel set to automatic and an image stabilization lens.
Old Apr 28th, 2007, 05:49 PM

Here are some lens rental companies suggested by Andy Biggs on another thread:

http://www.rentglass.com/
http://www.lensrentals.com/
http://www.photolensrental.com/

Someone else posted a few months ago with rates. I'll see if I can find the post.
Old Apr 28th, 2007, 05:50 PM

About cameras, in 2005 we used the Canon S2. And found the zoom range fine on it, it is same as the S3. Here are a couple dozen photos from that safari. http://tinyurl.com/377m5w
For our 2006 safari I got a new DSLR but Carolyn continued to use her S2. We both use the S2 for short video clips, pretty neat, good video with stereo sound. The S3 of course also does video. I see it for sale for $315, yes $315, at amazondot com. No sales tax, free shipping.
Did you say when you are going? If several months from now you might want to wait to see if anything comes up new in cameras. But whow, for now that S3 for $315 is a steal for a safari camera.

regards - tom
Old Apr 28th, 2007, 06:06 PM

If choosing between the canon s3 and the panasonic lumix tz1, i'd go with the canon. for the canon, 12X optical compared to 10X on the lumix, canon takes 4 AA batteries compared to the lumix replacement at $50.00 though is rechargeable but has short life, you can add on lenses to the canon, not with the lumix, no viewfinder on the lumix, no usb support for the tz1 so downloading will be tiresome. canon can be found for under $300 now, don't know what the lumix is going for. there are a few threads on fodors about cameras so you might want to read them before buying.

Old Apr 28th, 2007, 06:13 PM
Original Poster

Yooper - Thanks for the info. I was figuring the drying time for cotton was much longer, but was still concerned about the breathability during wear of the other fabrics. Definitely more at peace with it now.

Jess - I am going in January (7 - 24) When are you there? We'll have to compare dates and places.

Hills - I totally understand where you're coming from. It just pains me to pay that much money, even for the basic Rebel, for as little use as I will make of it. Based on pics posted by others on here, to include Tom's (from the next post) I'm loving those pics. I'm not trying to get into National Geographic here, just some nice photos of a great trip/adventure.

Tom - I know. I saw that price as well, and was pretty shocked. I am really thinking it's a great deal, and if the additional lenses (2x, etc) are what I'm thinking they are, I just really think it's a good path to follow. Good idea to wait and see what comes out in the mean time as I don't leave until January. With all of the great pics people are posting and that damn africam, which I'm totally addicted to, this is going to be a long 8 months of anticipation. LOL
Old Apr 28th, 2007, 06:15 PM

disagree with you hills, many of us have gotten outstanding pics of animals with the point and shoots, me included and it wasn't hard at all. op said she probably won't ever use it again, so why pay that much for a rebel if it will just sit in the closet gathering dust?
Old Apr 28th, 2007, 06:24 PM

When you are spending what we are all spending to go on safari, what's another $300?
Old Apr 28th, 2007, 06:31 PM

Meant that for Shane, not you matnikstym. The order of our posts made my post seem obnoxious.

And I agree, the Rebel isn't for everybody (I have a 30D). I just wanted to give him the option of renting some big glass if he wanted to out some real power.
Old Apr 28th, 2007, 06:31 PM

Meant...wanted to try out some real power.
Old Apr 28th, 2007, 06:33 PM
Original Poster

$300 could mean the difference between having to drive back to Nairobi from the Serengeti, or being able to fly. ;-) Just kidding (well, kind of), but I see your point as well.

Shane
Old Apr 28th, 2007, 06:52 PM

that's the good thing about going back to Africa again and again...for my next trip (4th in 2 years) all I need to get is malarone.
Old Apr 28th, 2007, 07:07 PM

I will say I was not a major photographer before my first "once in a lifetime" trip - Torres del Paine in Chile - during which I used a point and shoot. I'm still kicking myself for not having spent the money beforehand for a good SLR.

I did not make the same mistake before Machu Picchu. I had the camera set to manual the entire time, but the difference in the pictures was amazing.

Now, thousands of dollars later.....well, maybe it's best you don't follow my advice. ;-)